Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating questions....crap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Apr 5, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ok, here goes. The story is a waaaaaaaaaaay long, but I need to tell it to get across the severity of the problem and what I may have done to my engine.

On Saturday, my buddy and I loaded up the kids and dogs and went off for a day of fun in the snow and maybe even a little light wheeling. Since I had the kids with me, the top off the rig, and only the factory roll bar, I wasn't planning on anything extreme. Now, add to that a radiator that has a small leak under high temp pressure, the fact that my buddy drives a zuki and can't tow me and...Here's what happened....

On the way up the hill (we took our normal route) we decided to make a run up one of the many hill climbs (one we have done countless times before w/out problems). Well, somebody had gotten stuck towards the top of this particular hill climb and dug a pretty good hole. I had to throttle it a bit to get out. Not too bad, but the rpms were about 3800. I got to the top of the hill, made a hard left and headed up to the snow. The hill climb and my throttle happy foot was enough to make my radiator say..SCREW YOU BUDDY!! and blow it's top...literally... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Fortunately, by the time it blew, we were at the snow line where it was melting and there was a lot of running water across the trail. UNFORTUNATELY I didn't notice how bad I was overheating until the the steam was pouring out of every orifice it could under the truck. I looked at my temp gauge, it wasn't redlined or pegged out, so I jumped out of the truck, popped the hood, grabbed a shovel and started flinging snow as fast as I could into the eng. compartment, on top of the radiator, and into the grill to get snow onto the face of the radiator. I left the truck running while I was doing this in hopes that it would cool down slowly to minimize engine damage. I was also hoping that I caught it in time to prevent the gauge from redlining. No luck... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I had to shut it down. Once it cooled down enough, I bumped the starter to make sure it would turn over, it did, so I pulled the thermostat out, pulled off the rad. cap, and filled the radiator back up with fresh, ice cold mountain stream water. I fired it up and listened for bad sounds and to see if it was smoking. I checked the oil for that tell tale sign of water in it, and I let it sit for about 5 minutes watching the temp gauge like a hawk. It stayed very cool, so I turned around and coasted down the hill. Everything was fine until I hit the bottom of the hill and had to drop the rig into gear and hit the paved road for home. I couldn't make it 5 miles w/out overheating. I always shut it down well before it redlined, but it would always peg out. I had to stop and fill the radiator several times until I could get to a point where I could get a cell phone signal and call my wife to come tow me home. It overheated 5 times and a couple were hot enough to here sh*t crackling like it was on fire. The last time I shut it down, it wasn't overheated, but it was very warm. I am going to replace the radiator and hoses and flush out the system today. I may replace the water pump too if the bearings are bad. I'm also going to dump the oil and pull the filter to inspect them.

Now for the questions...what do I need to look for in addition to the above stuff? When we got it home, I filled the radiator back up and started it just long enough to get it into the garage. I didn't here any noises, it wasn't smoking, and I once again checked the oil for water in it, there wasn't any. I am going to replace my valve cover gaskets because it got so hot the covers were burning the residual oil off them /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Is there anything else I need to look for? I'm sure I took a bunch of life off the engine, but I need to make sure I don't miss anything and have it totally blow up on me 'cause when it happens to me..I'm NEVER in a convenient spot close to home /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So, any ideas?

Sheesh! This is the longest post I've EVER made! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Sorry for the length of this.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yup, i got a previous engine way too hot once also, it cracked the heads, no water in the oil, just enough to cause problems though.

Good luck and i hope you didn't do the same thing.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no water in the oil, just enough to cause problems

[/ QUOTE ]

What kinds of problems? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I was having problems with it running smooth after that, it was letting just enough water into the cylinders to cause alittle rough idle and lose water after awhile, light steam out the tailpipe, something that looks like when you first start up the engine.
    I would after you replace the radiator and whatever else, check the plugs a few times after you get it running and watch for the sign of water in the cylinders. (too clean of plug)

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well the PO of my Blazer had overheated my engine before. Mine would ping no matter what rpm , gas, or timing setting. 4xcrazy and I pulled my heads and several valves were white orange , and the heads were most likely cracked. New heads were needed in my case, and all is well. I hope yours is ok. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Got it! Thanks! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the crackling sound I heard wasn't the heads cracking...

If they did, then it'll be time to pull the engine. It needs rebuilt but I was hoping to wait a little while longer.