Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overheating steering after installing crossover

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 79Beast, Mar 10, 2002.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Alright, I admit. I already emailed stephen directly. I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same problems as me and one of my friends. We both converted to crossover and both had the power steering fluid overhead. A cooler solved the problem and it works like a champ. Does anyone run ATF in your power steering?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i run military spec hudraulic fluid. i get a GREAT price on it.
    free.
    dont ask.
    but i also dont have cross over.
    did you change out the box or the shaft?
    it might be a box is bad or the pump you might have put in als.
    i dunno. what all did you replace?
    Grant

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

HEY MAN YOU SHOULD RUN THAT ROYAL PURPLE P/S FLUID. THAT STUFF HAS DONE WONDERS FOR MY SYSTEM. IT DOES NOT OVERHEAT OR DUMP FUILD ALL OVER THE GROUND ANY MORE EITHER. SO GIVE IT A TRY YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm not familiar with Royal Purple. Can you describe it and tell me where I could get some? I added a cooler today and although I have not tested it yet, I expect that to cure the overheating.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running the same pump as I have for years. I swapped out my box for a two wheel drive box. All of the linkage (pitman arm, draglink, and steering arm) were replace with ORD steering parts. I expect the cooler I added today to fix any overheating problems....ever.

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

THE COOLER WILL HELP BUT I STILL HAD SOME PROBLEMS TILL I CHANGED TO ROYAL PURPLE. I WILL TRY TO GET THE PHONE NUMBER FOR YOU OR YOU COULD JUST CALL A PERFORMANCE SHOP THEY SHOULD HAVE SOME INFO. FOR YA.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

now that is an odd one.
    i will let you know when i do cross over
    Grant

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You're running steering with more available range of motion now so it makes some sense that the steering will be worked harder since it moves more. Sounds like the cooler did the trick, better fluid might help too.

Jim Allen tested the temps on his project Stinky K5 for Fourwheeler a couple years ago and even with a short lift and some 31's he was getting his fluid too hot while driving off road. It's a good idea to run a cooler or at least replace the fluid regularly.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Pretty much what you told me on the phone. I appreciate the advice. No wheeling with the cooler yet, I'll post the results. My next fluid change will see me adding Valvoline semi-synthetic fluid instead of the Pyroil (made by valvoline) standard fluid.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm running the Valvoline and having good luck with it. I was having a overheat problem as well. Hope to find a cooler this weekend but even without the cooler it fixed my issue.

11. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm using the Valvoline full synthetic with a cooler, havn't had a problem since switching.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

So you had an overheating problem before the sythetic fluid and cooler? Or did you swap them with the crossover?

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I had severe overheating problems once I switched to crossover steering (I'm friends with Bill, 79BEAST). I went to a 4WD event and wheeled hard all day and it killed my pump. Now I run a cooler with a parts store replacement pump and it seemed to cure the problem. When I'm playing around on ledges and steep banks, getting full flex from suspension while turning all the way to one side in low range granny gear, I start to hear some pump noise, but it seems minor. I was running Dexron 3 ATF, but I have mixed some semi-synthetic Valvoline with it to top off and eventually I'll completely flush and fill completely with the Valvoline. I think Stephen should at least recommend a cooler with the crossover steering so nobody will kill their pumps prematurely, because other than the overheating, I have yet to find a problem with the ORD crossover steering. It is a well designed and engineered product.

Will