Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, May 25, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

I went to the beach about a 2hour drive over the mountains and up the mountain the truck started smelling like somthing was burning... and the temp gauge which I thought didn't work started climbing a bit, So I guess it was overheating /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First thing I need to do is figure out whats wrong with the guage replacing a sending unit is easy but if thats not it then what? i'm thinking of just buying an aftermarket gauge.

So around town it doesn't seem to get hot so I'm going to assume that the cooling system isn't that bad. Maybe the tranny getting hot uphill, try a tranny cooler? An auxilerey electric fan???

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

all of those options u mentioed would help. u pretty much answered yur own questions. but i would FIND OUT WHY it is overheating first, if indeed it is and just not a goofy sending unit. cheaper by far than having to replace a motor or tranny. good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Gauge may be ok, temperature sometimes stays low when thermostat stuck slightly open, which is fine in winter but as it gets hotter outside does not hold back the water to do the heat exchange. Thermostat is cheap enough to replace anyway when you check things out /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 89fullsiz

I'll change the thermo first, any over heating issue I always do that it would be sweet if it fixed both the temp gauge and the overheating for 5 bucks!!

Thanks!

Bobby

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had a problem with the temp in my truck getting high when I was cruising at speed, then it would drop at slow speeds and idle. I had the radiator cleaned, and that solved the problem.

Have you checked the simple stuff like fluid level.

I would second the thermostat. They are cheap and I have bad luck with them failing.

6. 89fullsiz

Yep fluid level looks good. I just picked up a new 180 degree thermo I'll try that plus I may try and put a 2 1/16 electric water temp gauge in the dash.... I'd like to know if its getting hot or not!! I'm going to through some wetter water. What really scares me is it coulda been the tranny and I haven't had the best of luck with 700r4's in the past. I almost didn't buy the truck because it had one /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't really worry about the later 700r4's , just put a big cooler on it. If it does go ( with well over 100,00 miles ) rebuild it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep fluid level looks good. I just picked up a new 180 degree thermo I'll try that plus I may try and put a 2 1/16 electric water temp gauge in the dash.... I'd like to know if its getting hot or not!! I'm going to through some wetter water. What really scares me is it coulda been the tranny and I haven't had the best of luck with 700r4's in the past. I almost didn't buy the truck because it had one /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy another electric guage if you want something that is cheap, reliable, and easy to install. Get yourself a mechanical guage down at Napa for $19. Coming from experience, I spent $700 in cooling upgrades including tearing my 406 back down thinking I had an internal problem....it was the electric guage. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif