Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overheating

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Aug 5, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the bone stock '87 seems to be gettin a lil hot lately, we jus got the a/c fixed so thats blowin on Max. all the time, but the temp is hangin around 210, has not exceeded it, but been right on it, i haven't been stoppin and goin, cept a little bit, its been 98 degrees with 107 heat index, this normal, should i worry, ignore, thermostat possibly wrong? any help appreciated!

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Have you serviced the radiator lately? I mean the normal flush and replacement fluids. Is your fan clutch any good? If you are running FI use the recommended thermostat., computer will go funny on you if you dont.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My stock 88 will run close to 210 and we are in the same heat.

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

no on the first, dunno on the second, and whatever is normal stock is third, so i rekn runnin this temp isn't normal?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Truck should be running at 195 pretty consistently.

Never owned one of these trucks new off the lot, so only an original owner can say if in that kind of heat, that temp is "normal". I *kind* of doubt it, but the temperatures they run the 350 in the 80's camaros, I wouldn't put it past GM to think that 210 was acceptable.

I don't believe in radiator flushes, I've tried them before, (and my own method, tons of vinegar) and still the radiator only flowed 50% of what it should have.

IMO a flow test is the ONLY way to completely rule out a radiator being faulty or not, but I may be lucky...the local radiator shop/rebuilder (located in a wrecking yard) has a flow testing machine, and will test them for free, if you cart it in.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your temperature is pretty normal. Most of those trucks run 195 degree thermostats. I live in Arizona and get up to maybe 195 with the air on when its 110 degrees outside. My setup is simple, big radiator, 180 degree thermostat, 40-60 mix of the green stuff (more water than antifreeze) and the most important thing I did was to pop rivet a plate on the back of the cookie cutter impeller that was on my water pump. This creates an area that traps more water so the flow is improved .Think of the wheel on an old steam boat.