Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overload shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Does anyone make an overload shock(spring over shock) for a 4" lift Jimmy? I've seen them before for stock applications, but not for lifted trucks. I'm having a hard time explaining what I want to the morons at the local parts stores...("My computer doesn't show that"). And the jackass at 4-wheel parts tried to sell me a $600.00 coil over race shock. All I'm looking for is a little more load capacity so when I tow a trailer the back end doesn't come down so much. Thanks, Russell

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Hey Russell.. how ya been?
    I think the shocks you're looking for are in the JC Whitney catalog... I'll see if I can find mine... why not try the airbag system for boost?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

3. Russell Keys

Hey bud, Not too bad. And you? I thought about the air bag sys. but I'm kinda looking for something cheap and simple w/o doing an add-a-leaf. I had a set of the spring over shocks off a a parts blazer a while back but threw them away. Don't know what you got till it's gone! I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Btw what brand of paint did you spray that 76 blazer with? I need to do the hood and some touching up.
    -Russell

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I used Rustoleum Camo paint... That's what it was called.. Dark Forest Green...
    So you're getting around to fixing the 76 up huh? What parts do you have laying around that you might have for sale? I might have a lead on a military parts dealer up here at Fort Hood... we're talking 14 bolt's and Dana 60's out of 1 ton pickup's... [​IMG] I 'll know more by Monday...
    I might also be buying a pickup(military) running.. I'm keeping my finger's crossed...
    Have any pics of the 76's progress?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

5. Russell Keys

Yeah, I finally got an ins. check and went off and built an engine. I got the hood hinges welded and hood opens better than my Jimmy's. Now I'm doing some wiring. Hope to get it cranked tomorrow. Do I have parts? What do you need? I have some parts off a surburban no one wants. Can you get any wrangler military tires? No pics, I don't know how to post them and I don't think we have a scanner?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing a cheap set of those at Pep Boys a few weeks back. It was a kit that slipped over your existing shock and u-bolted on.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>