Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

overload springs in front >?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Oct 22, 2001.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey Stephen , i got a front stock gm diesel front pack and a rear pack off a tahoe er sumpin for free and i made a new front pack out of them and i was wondering if it would make sense to put the rear overload in the front to keep i from going into a negative arch under flex and ruining them ? or any springs for that matter , i know it will look funny but i dont care ....

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

fine dont answer i figger it out fo meeself .........sheesh ...pinion seal ...

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I know a guy who did this.... He installed the "lift" add-a-leaf for the rear pack on an otherwise "stock" front set of springs. Gave him some lift, but when the front was "stuffed" - the front springs took on an "upside down W" shape.. and really didn't compress that well.

Marv

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Andy,
    if you mean by putting in the overload like you have it on the back(upsidedown) it may not be any problem. it will get a bit stiffer as you compress the leaf. it might help if you are jumping alot. i would not think it'd be good for flexing, it would limit the amount of total flex that you get. try asking the same question on the main board(73+). i hope that helps...

that's my 2 cents

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

yeah itll limit flex , but flex is&lt;maybe&gt; what kilt my current springs...

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Not sure of a good answer on this one, with any spring, you have to stop it from bending (uptravel) in one of two ways, either with a bumpstop or with enough weight capacity that it holds the correct portion of the truck's weight on it's own. YOU HAVE TO STOP THE TRAVEL BEFORE YOU REACH THE STRESS LIMIT OF THE SPRING MATERIAL! Either of the above ways will work, but bumpstops are the best way because there's a lot of weight (and flying energy) available in a truck and would take a hell of a front spring to stop it by capacity alone. This is why we have suspension bumpstops. An example of this is a stock GM rear spring that has to have the overload in it because the bumpstops are too far away to keep it from over stressing without the extra weight capacity of the overload.

All an overload leaf does is provide you with a somewhat progressive 2-stage ride. You have a soft ride when the truck's not loaded and as it squats down it will begin to engage the overload so you have extra weight capacity. The same thing can be done with a custom designed 2 stage leaf but it will travel a lot more and be a much more expensive spring. The factory is not concerned with lots of wheel travel and needs relatively cheap springs with soft ride and good carrying capacity without huge ride height change.

Think of loading a stock K5 spring pack and loading my custom springpack. When you drop a trailer with a lot of tongue weight on a stock K5, it goes down a couple inches and engages the spring pack so it holds up the trailer after settling about 2-3". A single stage spring can hold up the same weight but will settle 5-6" because it's rate doesn't get stiff when it hits the overloads.

This may be more info than is needed here but will be interesting to someone I'm sure.

Basically Andy, I can't really tell if you're going to need the overload or not. Most front supsensions should be stopped by the bumpstop so make sure that you're bumpstop is engaged after about 3" of bumptravel and you should be fine without it. No guarantees, but that's my best guess.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>