Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Overloads for bumpstops.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Aug 3, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

My brother uses later model tahoe rear springs in the front of his K10 with straight overloads for limiting uptravel. Anyone else using this trick? I intend to.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Depending on how you drive this could be not so great.

If you go fast the spring rate rises so incredibly fast once you're into the overloads that the shocks can't control the rebound. That makes the truck feel like it's bucking. BT, DT, yanked them things.

For slow speed work I can see where it might work if carefully set up. You easily could get into a sitch where you're taking the main leaf well into reverse arch even thought he overload is flat. The other leaves will cause this.

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

It works good. Been that way quite a while, and been wheeled all over the desert at all kinds of speeds.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I originally kept the overloads on my 56s in the front to limit flex. But it also decreased the clearance between spring pack and crossove tie rod, so I had to remove them.