Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oversized tie rods and drag links....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Nov 23, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I tried the search and came up with nada.

Post your links to ANYBODY and EVERYBODY who makes large tie rods and drag links, such as Rockstomper, etc.

If you can, post up some pics of the ends where there are double tubes as I'm curious to what they look like as far as to whether the tubes are welded together or ???????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I made my sleeved tie rod and it is welded at the ends. Need one? I only have a right hand tap right now; which I prefer since the right hand tre's are cheaper and easier to come by.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got mine from sky also. He uses chevy and ford BIG 1" ends instead of the 7/8" ends /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

ORD, MOO

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

www.mo-offroad.com

Or just buy a set of High Steer arms from ORD and don't worry about the tierod! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Down low - they all bend! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    www.mo-offroad.com

Or just buy a set of High Steer arms from ORD and don't worry about the tierod! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Down low - they all bend! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather bend a tie rod than shatter a knuckle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Here we go hi-jacking - sorry Wes!

If your'e worried about it, the ORD arms are drilled for the 5th bolt hole in the Dedenbear Knuckles - so you'll be prepared to shell out the cash.

I never bend anything because mine doesnt leave the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll do a Poll - see the new thread...

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Start the thread on pirate, not here.

10. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have the ORD draglink (crossover steering) and its beefy. My tierod is from West Texas Offroad and is 1.5" solid steel. Its severe overkill, but I like it. Plus, it was cheaper than anybody else's "strong" tierod.

Will

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[momentary highjack in progress]

Typically, how big in diameter can you go before the tie rod makes contact with the diff cover at full lock?

How do lift springs effect a high steer tie rod set up? Is there a point where the spring arch causes them (the springs) to get in the way of the tie rod? I'm thinking of doing the high steer tie rod to get it out of harms way but I don't want to find out I can't do it after I've bought the parts.

[/momentary highjack in progress]

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

On GM knucks, about 1.75" diameter is max for a D60 depending on the cover. Ford is about 1.5" diameter max. You might be able to go 2" on GMs with a stock cover.

Depending on the arch of the springs, yes, it can be a problem with high steer. But it depends on the manufacturer since arch rate is not consistent on all springs from end to end. Also depends on the arms used. Sometimes you need to space the arm or tie rod to keep from hitting in droop...

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Here we go hi-jacking - sorry Wes!

If your'e worried about it, the ORD arms are drilled for the 5th bolt hole in the Dedenbear Knuckles - so you'll be prepared to shell out the cash.

I never bend anything because mine doesnt leave the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll do a Poll - see the new thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem on the 5th hole as I was planning to send my arm back to Stephen and have him drill the 5th hole out for me. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif