Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Owner to Get Back Motorcycle Stolen in 1971

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Apr 13, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Owner to Get Back Motorcycle Taken in 1971
    Tue Apr 11, 11:03 PM ET

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Authorities recovered a motorcycle that was stolen in 1971 and plan to return it to its original owner this week.

The 1970 Yamaha was about to be shipped overseas to a Finnish man who bought it for $1,725 on eBay in September, authorities said Monday. During the shipping process, the vehicle identification number turned up in the database of the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
    Long Beach police still had the theft report and tracked down the original owner, Phillip McKeen, who lives in New England. Police officials plan to return the 360cc bike to McKeen on Wednesday.
    "Incredible," said McKeen, an American Airlines pilot. "It's as if a friend you hadn't seen for 30 years walked back into your life but hadn't aged a day."
    The 35-year-old bike has just 9,380 miles on the odometer.
    Neither the Finnish buyer nor the seller, a Visalia resident, were suspected of wrongdoing, authorities said.
    A similar case unfolded in January when a Corvette that had been stolen in 1969 was recovered as it was about to be shipped to Sweden through the Port of Los Angeles, said Mike Fleming of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I saw that today and immediately thought of what good shape the bike was in. It must have sat covered in a garage or basement somewhere for most of those 35 years.

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i had a 04 honda 4x4 rancher stolen last april i hope someday its found . i am still making payments on it .no ins.:crazy: but i hope it doesnt take that long i will be dead before then:eek1:

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

So there's still hope for that hotwheels car I had stolen in 4th grade!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Didn't that happen with a 'Vette recently?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, i was just about to say the same thing, was stolen like 30 years ago and was recently sold and was awaiting overseas shipment when it was discovered. The owner who it was stolen from was happy to get his old vette back with a new engine and custom paint job.