Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ox locker, or ARB for Chevy Front Dana 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgwhlr, Mar 5, 2003.

1. bgwhlr

bgwhlr Registered Member

Hey I was just wondering if any one had knowledge on which locker was stronger, and cheaper in the long run. Need one the lasts the longest?? Please help me decide /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The ARB is a VERY strong unit.
    OX is having problems right now and I would avoid any OX products at all.
    -- Mike

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What about the new E-locker then?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hard to say if an Ox will last, since they haven't been out for very long. The ARB is a strong unit, it will require some maintenance in the long run but they don't break very often. </font>

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The E-locker for the 60 is still more cash than the ARB. About $200 more or so.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Isn't the extra price of the E-Locker offset by the extra cost/work involved in adding a compressor? How much is the ARB Compressor?

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It is. Just depends on what you want I guess.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I believe the Detroit E-Locker is also a limited slip when not engaged, whereas the ARB is absolutely open or locked up. Not sure about the strength/durability issues of the l/s in the E-Locker. I would imagine it is similar to the Detroit Tru-Trac.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You can install the ARB locker easily in your driveway (or garage), especially with the help of this article:

http://coloradok5.com/arbinstall.shtml

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Boss

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Even if the compressor does offset the cost, who couldn't use OBA?? Not that the ARB compressor would be worth anything when it comes to filling tires but the air locker gives you an excuse to build a whoop-ass OBA system...*nodding toward Evan* /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

My new ARB showed up on my door yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The OX locker cost about double that of an ARB. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The ARB air locker has been in use for a number of years now and I have never heard anyone complain about it breaking.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's happened to Ox? Is their junk breaking or is the company not making any money? What about that article in Petersen's a few months ago about the Offrotech locker for the D60? Have they put it out yet?

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'm not making a case either for or against either item. The ARB just seems to slyly market the carrier, and you have to 'add on' a lot of other items. I just purely was bringing the 'overall cost' issue to the front. I agree about the OBA, but again, although it will be infinitely useful to you or Evan and many others here, how many people with the ARB will use the kick ass OBA, and again I ask what is the total time/financial investment for the end product?

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My ARB was $610 and I have $460 into the OBA system, so I'm in it for $1050. Still cheaper than the Ox locker by a long shot, plus it's more proven. The Offrotech one hasn't actually come out yet that I know of, and they never solved that toaster oven issue with the cover. </font>

16. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    As soon as I decide what the hell I am going to do for air and where I am going to mount the air supply, I will definitely be placing an order for those lines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    toaster oven issue

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't quite follow ya there, bud. That article is the only thing I've read on it, so I'm definitely in the dark on both it and the Ox.

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I wasn't considering the OX in my argument, it was just the ARB and the E-Locker. I am curious on the durability/strength of the E-Locker. I think that would be the X factor between the 2 for the wheeler who didn't/doesn't use or need OBA. Obviously proven strength is worth extra bones.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Hard to say if an Ox will last, since they haven't been out for very long. The ARB is a strong unit, it will require some maintenance in the long run but they don't break very often. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Funny I have seen SEVERAL break. In a 8 month period three members of the club I run with had them come apart and all of them had multiple problems with hoses, valves, electrical. One freind had the one in his 12 bolt come appart and it damaged his housing. ALL the same problem, bolt in the housing snapping or coming loose. 2 of them were in front axles of Jeeps so they were not seeing the run time of being in the rear axle.
    One of the guys in the club works for a local municipality they have a leach feild where they have military K5's they run through there daily. The ARBS were dumped because of multiple problems, The Dterots were holding up but they kept snapping axle shafts. They have E-Lockers now and sofar holding up. The difference between a E-Locker and a OX is how they activate. The inside of the diff is almost Identical set up. The Ox engages with a cable and the e-locker does it with a motor or solonoid.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Search Offrotech and you will see. They have a very large accuator on the diff cover.