Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OX locker or ARB locker... opinions? comments? suggestions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, Dec 19, 2001.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

guys and gals, i think the title tells it all... what do you guys think? the differences in perfomance, usability, afforability, quality, etc. thanks in advance.
    -charlie

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is the OX Locker available for your differential?

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

3. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

yes i just picked up a d60. i am going to have it rebuilt with the locker in it so i wanted to know what to use.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

They sell the Ox Loxker for a Dana 60?

I thought it wasnt out yet?

Do you know the cost on it?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

They are making them for the D60, but it's not out yet (Ox). But I emailed the guy a while back and he said estimated cost is about $1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, I went with the ARB instead. It's proven for the D60 and is reliable for that axle.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Personnaly I like the OX better than the ARB. Less to go wrong. When your figuring costs you need to add in the cost of a compressor to run the ARB.
    The ARB has so many places it can fail. I have seen blown seals, bolts loosen up. ARB say's this was not a problem but they tell people how to dowl the housing to prevent it and changed a few other things. May not be an issue now as these upgrades should be on all new ARB's. They are very easily damaged by any dirt either comming down the air line or in the oil.
    The OX is just plain simple. It has a locking collar that has a fork like a tranny and it simply is slid into place making it a spool. The ARB does the same thing but it uses a very delicate air piston to do the job.
    The only vulnerable thing on the OX is the cable but the air line is just as vulnerable on the ARB. It doesn't require a compressor, solonoid valves, wiring and all the failure that can happen with that.Just a simple cable like a bick shifter.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper