Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ox locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, Oct 17, 2005.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

Anybody running one of these? I would like to know how it acts,quaility,likes and dislikes.

Any help would be great.

2. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

i also want to know about these

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

come on now no one has them or knows of some one with them? i want to know also.:(

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I don't have one but I've read a good article about it in fourwheeler magazine. They've put one in the front of their project Superburb. Looked like a really nice locker. You can find the article on the web.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

They are nicely made, but the company went out of business.

Makes it a pretty risky purchase, since you probably can't get support or replacement parts if you needed them.

Also, the shift fork is incorporated into the cover (IIRC) so you HAVE to use their cover to complete the kit.

Even with the current discounts (to get rid of them) they are still an expensive locker. You might be better off with an ARB / Detroit. :thinking:

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I didnt know that they went out of buisness. And yes you have to use there cover and it is a 1/4 inch thick. The only thing that i have found is that they are very stout but they are very sensative to cable adjustment. If its off just a little bit it doesnt work. I am thinking about a electric locker and a set of chromoly shafts and yukon super joints.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Wow, OX went out of business? That really sucks. I've been waiting years to get a set of these, and this year I probably would have (I make more money now). I always liked the idea of mechanical actuation because if something happens on the trail, you could always figure out some way to mechanically actuate it to get lock (like pulling the cable with ViceGrips or something). The thought of always having to have electrical or air (and a wire or an air tube versus an armored cable) never quite sat right with me. In the Army I once put a HMMV (Hummer) out of business because I ran over a big stick, that wedged up between the transmission and the transmission tunnel, it tore out all the transmission lines and required some MacGyver type ingenuity to get running again. That's the kind of luck I have, and I thought an OxLock could help play for my team.

8. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I didn't know that either. That's to bad, I too was thinking of buying one of those lockers. They were much cheaper then an ARB and seemed very nice.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

From what I remember, the guys that ran that company came from an aircraft background (machinists I believe) so the product was WAY over-engineered and well-conceived.

The problem is that when you add up the costs to manufacture a product like that and maintain a high level of quality, it's ends up cost more than anyone can afford. I don't think they were making any money on those things....or at least not enough to make it worthwhile.

It's somewhat reminiscent of a certain $800 traction bar I used to admire on this site.... amazing fabrication, well-engineered and beautiful. The problem is that the market for an $800 bar is VERY small. :(

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Anybody know WHY they went out of business? Were sales just that bad or did they have something else go horribly wrong?

I was reading about the company before, and the story goes something like... "a NASA engineer was looking for a super-stout diff for his off-road truck and didn't like the actuation offered commercially. So he made his own." Which I thought was super-cool. I really like when people take initiative and make cool stuff. Anyone can by a lift kit from your neigborhood 4x4 store, and bolt it on. It takes real genius to come up with some of the crazy mods I see people running with. That's what I love about this pasttime.

I will say however, I'm from Ohio, and went to Summit Racing Equipment's TruckFest a month or so ago. Tons of cool vendors and lots of personal rigs around. But I left discouraged, after looking around at all of them, I didn't notice a single mod that I felt reflected some genuine original thinking or creativity. Even an interesting Hi-Lift jack mount would have been impressive. But nothing but bolt on stuff. There were some super-customs (you know, the ones with the $20,000 paintjobs and another $20,000 of chrome rims) but you know they would never take that on a trail, a trail where they might get a ding <crowd goes silent>. :doah:

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

From what I hear, Ox is actually back, trying to regain it's name. They've released a D60 U-joint that is different than their old 44 stuff.

Don't know if they are or are going to make lockers again, but I believe the company is trying to make a comeback.

12. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I heard they were back also, dont know for sure though. I'll google 'em rite now. ( thank god for this forum or I would fall asleep here at work) Just looked 'em up and called florida.... " the number I called is no longer in service." Hmm.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  13. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

There going to be at SEMA in a couple of weeks and we will have all the new info. So i am pretty sure that they are not out of buisiness but they may have done a little changing around or something.

14. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Ox is somewhere here in the Panhandel/Gulf coast aera.
    I have talked to one of the emplyees how owns a Jeep
    and he trying to hide some facts that we talked about
    Good/bad/indifferent I don't know

15. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I don't understand. You talked to a guy, and he was holding back and not telling you all the facts? Or you talked to him, and he was telling you how they were trying to hide facts at Ox?

CrpMag122 likes this.
  16. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

OX Is owned by 4 Wheelparts!!! :crazy:

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sorry to confuse, it is my opinion that he was holding back, meaning
    he know more, but did not want to ansewer my ??
    He claimed to be pretty high up in rank with OX .

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

are you sure he wasnt trying this?

15490negative4.jpg

19. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Speaking of wich, there is an add in their catolog and it has their locker in it.

20. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

What a bunch of horse sheet.

Does anyone on here have a real clue what the hell they are talking about.

The owners name is George Stelieo. They are in Odessa Fl. The web site is www.ox-usa.com THey are IN BUSINESS. Yes they had some hickups that got dragged all over the internet but all small startup businesses have issues. THey overcome them and move on or dissapear. OX is here after their problem whatever it was.

Now as far as the product:
    We installed front and rear Ox's on our raffle jeep ( www.shanebeard.org ) and they both fit awesome. They are a over engineered hunk of cnc marvell. The amount of steel in these is truly amazing. Instead of a casting with machined surfaces these are completely machined out of a solid pc. Even the cover is machined, not stamped. It weighs about twice as much as the limited slip for the same axle.

The company is stand up as far as I am concerned. They made it through their startup issues and are doing well enough to donate two lockers to our raffle. :D