Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ox Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by THE1208, Mar 9, 2007.

1. THE1208

THE1208 Registered Member

Anybody Running One I Am Considering Installing On In A Rear 60 Need Some Input Before I Lay Out $$$$$$$$$$ Thanks.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Is that the one with the propriatary(sp) cover? I don't see many people running them. That may be an indication right there. Go detroit for uber beef.

3. THE1208

I Think I Need To Add Few Comments Before This Turns In To A " You Should Just Run A [ Fill In The Plank] Thread" First Of All Thank You To Anybody Who Takes The Time To Reply.second I Have Been Building Rears For Approx 20 Years I Have Run In My Own Rig A Detriot, Arb, Power Lock ,true Trac (i Am Showing My Age) And Welded Also Set Up More Loc Rites Then I Care To Admit Too For Other People. Hear Is How I Stand Detriot Great Locker But I Feel Since They Changed Many Years Ago To The Soft Lock I Have Been Seening More Brake .i Am Still Running An Old Design In My Rig With No Proplems. Arb Great Locker Also Even Better With New Design They Have Eliminated Alot Of If Not All There Proplems With The New Design. But I Never Liked Having To Have An Aircompressure On Board Because If It Failes Than What Although When I Was Running An Arb I Did Have It Set Up So I Could Tie It Into My Co2 Tank .had A Customer That Ran His Strickly On Co2 .welded Dumbist Thing I Ever Did. Could Have Delt With It If I Didn`t Drive It On The Street. Loc Rite Will Not Run One In The Back Of Any Truck Period. I Am To The Point I Will Not Set Them Up For Sombody If It Is In Rear Of A Dd. Front Ap Great Cheap Way Out.the Reson For The Quistion Is I Dont Mind Spending The $ If Overall Its A Good Unit. When I Bought My First Arb I Talked To Everybody Who Had Them. At The Time I Kept Geting The Same Answers Great Locker Compressure Sucks, Air Line Keeps Braking (think First Gen Compresor) So When Installed It I Used A Differant Compressure And A Differant Hose Arangment Ran It For Years With No Proplems Sold Axle And Its Still Out There Running . So I Look Forward To All Your Coments And For Those Of You Wondering I Did Do A Search And Found A Lot Of People Bitching About The $$$ Thanks Again

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Isn't Ox out of business? I know they went out of business last year unless someone resurrected the company. If you must have a selectable locker I would go with an ARB or Detroit Elec-trac. Both companies are stable & have good reps. I personally am not a fan of selectable lockers. I am a fan of the KISS theory and also I have seen way to many people forget to turn them on when wheeling. I would rather have 2 mechanical lockers. I might be pursuaded to run one in a front axle if the vehicle was a full buggy that wheeled in very tight places.

Harley

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sorry man, but I just can't read that. Kill the caps on every word please.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

I almost bought one of these. Only thing really holdin me back was the price. They are supposed to be extremely well engineered. The only real beef I heard that people have with them is they are tricky to engage. I read that sometimes you gotta kinda roll a little and turn the wheel some in order to get the side gears to lock up.

7. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Extreme 4x4 just installed one on their new project JK(??) 4 door Wrangler.

8. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

What he said^^^^^^ and please use a period and some paragraphs. I really wanted to read that and couldn't.
    George

9. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

I run one in a front d6o and no issues to speak of. Yes it is tricky to engage if you are crossed up some where. Just turning the wheel back and forth a lil does the trick. on flat ground or in sand it goes right in. Front cover is extremely tuff. My biggest issue installing it was I had to trim a lip off inside the housing and routing the cable was tricky so it wouldnt bind and still flex.

10. THE1208

How close is the cover to the tie rod? Are you running high steer arms? Thanks

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A friend has worn one out in his XJ. He's not brutal on parts, but he goes a LOT and he always takes the hard line. His is one of the first & possibly the very first OX for an XJ D30 so it has seen a lot of service.
    The newer shifter does make them easier to shift than the original shifter. the only issue he'd had was a tye-wrap melting & allowing the cable to contact the exhaust. It didn't shift well after that for some reason.