Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OX ujoints or CTM's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by barbastard, Mar 9, 2004.

1. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

OX ujoints or CTM\'s

Does anyone have any input on which is better and why? I'm getting ready to purchase some chromoly axleshafts (most likely Warn's) and want to buy some "uber" ujoints to go along with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks......

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Re: OX ujoints or CTM\'s

They are basically the same. Either one will blow up a lockout and ruin a R/P set before they break. Just depends on how soon you need them. CTM's take longer to get.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

not trying to steal the post but thats what I could never understand about strong u-joints for the axles... arnt they sposta break so you DONT break a hub or R&P kinnda like a fuse? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. barbastard

didn't really look at it that way. Although I'd be suprised if my R&P went before the ujoint or axleshaft...even with the chromoly and CTM/OX ujoints. Have you ever seen this happen? Also, what have you heard about the lead time on CTM ujoints right now. I know the OX ujoints are in stock.

5. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know the OX ujoints are in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen them with your own eyes...I have been hearing that for 2 years now and only seen one guy running them. He hasn't even been able to break a warn shaft yet so who knows how they realy work in the real world.

Persionaly I would go for the CTMs...most everything will break before them. They are proven.

Yes I have seen 1/2 ton R&P's fail with stock shafts.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think CTM is the strongest without a question (in my mind anyway). This is based on looking at them, considering the design, and feedback from people who abuse far more than I do. But, the OX is probably stronger than other components like the axle shafts so it's mostly a moot issue.

Availability? I ordered my CTM about 2 weeks or so ago and got it in 2 days.

And the fuse concept. IMO this is one of those "old wives tales" that will do nothing but cause you grief. Problem is, by the time anything brakes, there is so much torque load on the system that recoil and/or binding combined with load shift (to the remaining side) tears hell out of everything. A few weeks ago I broke a u-joint. That broken u-joint took out both inner and stub, along with the spindle bearing, seals, dust shield, and there is some small damage on the knuckle itself. If I had been running lockout hubs instead of slugs, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it would have gotten that too. And I was lucky, the recoil does not seem to have hurt my Detroit as it often does (jury is still out since I've not been out since). Yeah... good thing that fuse blew...

7. barbastard

No, I haven't seen them with my own eyes. But I'm buying them through a friend that owns his own offroad shop and I know that he wouldn't mislead me. I know the CTM's are proven but at $50 less for each Ujoint the OX's look appealing. Plus, not that many people are running them and I think that's just because they're new and most people are gun shy trying something new (and possibly better....I've heard that they are up to 30% stronger than CTM's) and unproven.....they're waiting for the "guinea pigs" to come and try them and offer some feedback. Hmmm...

As far as the R&P is concerned...I've got 3/4 ton running gear and I didnt' think there was any difference in a 1/2ton vs 3/4ton R&P anyways. I'm sure that you can break anything but I'd be willing to bet that after chromoly axleshafts and CTM's/OX joints are installed the next closest weak link would be a driveshaft ujoint and not the R&P or locker.

Thanks for the input...keep it comin!!!

8. barbastard

The ujoint you blew up...was it a CTM or just a stock spicer 5-760x? Also, were you using hub fuses?

I'm with you....I don't really like the idea of hub fuses. I don't ever want to intentionally put in a piece of equipment that is designed to "fail" before other pieces. I think it would be a lot of "grief" as you said and it would cause more problems than it's worth. I can just see it now.....if I installed those damn things I'd be breaking them ALL the time......go 200 feet on the trail and up an obstacle, BAM, broken hub fuse....another 200 feet and an obstacle, BAM, broken hub fuse. THat would get old and expensive real quick.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If I recall correctly Russ broke a D-60 front U-joint not a the smaller 5-760X D-44/10b joint.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run Fuses.
    I was able to break a 297 Ujoint with fuses installed.
    I now run CTMs so my fuses are the week link. I see this as a good..no GREAT thing.
    I was able to break a fuse once. 10min later I'm rollin again. Just had to make sure to remove all the lil teeth before reassemble. Oh and I recomend an extra set of hubs cuz I do see what you guys are talkin about with the ripple effect. When one part lets go on heavy load that can take out many other parts.
    I was preety crossed up on a hill/ravine/hole when my fuse let go and it was LOUD! I thought I snaped a shaft for sure, but just the fuse stripped out and it was great to have such a simple fix.
    I will continue to run fuses.

Good luck Bro! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did:

I did the studying of both Ox and CTM. I run Superior Crmos in the front with CTM's. I went to Superior in California to pick up the shafts from there factory. I had the OX joints already bought and at my house. The Superior rep "Bob" told me that the OX joints they use to carry, and had some problems with them wearing out faster than the CTM's. So I went to see CTM directly at his office in Southern Califorina. I met with Jack personally and asked him why his CTM's were stronger. I ended up spending well over 2 hours talking with Jack and having him show me around his business. Then he showed me a OX u joint that someone had send him. The joint has many more moving parts than the CTM and in less than 5 trips they wore out the joint, the bearing/bronze inserts were waddled out and it needed repair. This caused the ears of the very expensive Superior Axles to become waddled out thus causing the axles to become scrap.

I spent a lot of money between axle shafts and CTM's and the extra 80 bucks for the CTM was worth it to me.

Try to contact OX directly, were is there factory, do they have customer support line. I tried you can't find them. They only sell to the dealers. I could not fine them anywhere.

Good luck, but I would by the CTM's hands down.

BTW I run a D44 and 12 Bolt FYI.

Rob

12. barbastard

Cool....thanks for the info. I think you very well may have changed my mind. I'm going to do a little more research but you made some good points. I appreciate your input!!! I'll post up and let everyone know what route I went.

BTW...you run a D44 and a 12B....what tire size, gearing, lockers? Do you wheel it hard? How have your superior shafts and CTM's held up so far?

Thanks again....

Nathan

13. BadDog

He runs 35" MTs and wheels the wee out of it. 4.10s I think? He just got the CTMs and axles after getting tired or replacing 1 or 2 every trip lately...

Anyway, I did break the Forged "Life Series" D60 Spicer joint. Took out the whole side...

14. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Nathan,

Like Baddog said, I run 35" MTR's and 4:11, with a doubler and my blazer weighs a bunch, way over the stock weight. And like Russ said, I wheel the snot out of it. I just got tired of alway worrying about breaking a front shaft....

Good luck in your decision.

Rob

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    breaking a front shaft

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um..... I think you mean ANY SHAFT. If I remember correctly 2 of the last 3 runs we were at together you had the rear end up on 2 jacks and a bin of gear oil sittin on the side /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You got the rears now too didn't you?

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Didn't we go over this already? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Even with a broken axleshaft didn't he still spin as many tires as you? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Just breakin your balls a little. I know you are about to get locked up and convert over to the cheater axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya my cheater axle..... ha /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I am buying my way to traction and may I never have to do ball joints again. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I am pretty sure u-haul will rent me a car hauler on account of the 8-lugs. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

After CTM/OX and ro-mo axles what is the next week link?

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Hubs, R&P, Driveshafts. Take your pick and place bets now. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Harley

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I've got 3 cans of beer or pepsi products on hubs. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif It is 5:1 odds on the front driveshaft so that could pay off big if you get lucky.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    After CTM/OX and ro-mo axles what is the next week link?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Your credit card? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Definitely the hubs... that's why I run slugs.

Hmm, 35 spline 4340 axles (when they are available again), CTM, slugs, 4.56 gears on a Detroit, 1/4" square shafts with 1410s and large diameter 32 spline front 205 output. Wonder what the weak link is (or will be) on mine? The lug nuts? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Nah, D60 pinion would be my guess, but a 4.56 pinion is no slouch...

Act