Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oxy-acetylene cylinder size...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 21, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Next week I will be calling the welding place here and asking for a quote on a oxy-acetylene welding set-up. I will be doing some welding, and also using it for heating up stuck bolts, also maybe some cutting if it comes with the rigth stuff.
    The question is, what size of bottle should I get for oxy. and what size should I get for acety. ? When ever I see these kinds of welders, It seems sometimes there is one cylinder bigger than the other. So what size should I get for each of them?
    I want it to be big enough it will last me a while when welding a few times a week (to practice) and heating up the odd bolt or nut. But not to big that it will be expensive to rent/buy

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Q size is perfect unless you use the torch to do a LOT of cutting. Its easy to roll around a shop and lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what size is "Q" in C.U. ? I wont be doing much cutting with it. Thanks

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

No idea, im sure you could find the answer somewhere on the web, but the acetylene cylinder is about 2 feet tall and the oxygen tank is about 3 1/2 feet tall, each about 8" diameter.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I will just ask when I call. Thanks!