Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oxy/Acetylene welding questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was thinking about buying a Oxy/Acetylene welding/cutting kit for art metal (spare time projects for family; gifts) and was wondering if anyone has one? I was thinking about either getting
    this one or this one has anyone delt with these 2 brands? They have a good price range for me, and how are they for cutting? Pros/cons, I know a plasma cutter is better but I dont have 1000.00 to spend on one. It looks like they would be good. Any input on these would be great. Also for welding things like sheet metal, bumpers, and whatnot, how are these for it? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All I can say is have fun welding with a torch. That's almost a long lost art.

Those are faily competitive prices compared to what I've seen in Tractor Supply Company and Harbor Freight.

Depending on the thickness of the metal you're wanting to cut and from my experience in cutting class, a torch is a torch. Hell a Craftsman torch cut better for me than one of those high dollar deals did.

3. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    I've tried to learn oxy acet welding and it took along time to catch on. I would get a arc welder and a cutting torch. my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

You can buy a good Harris starter kit, which includes regulators, hose, flashback arrestors, handle, cutting head, tip, welding tip, striker and goggles for $169 and Lowes /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If you can find a good deal, you can buy a set of customer owned oxy/act 150 cubic foot tanks (full) for around $150 each.

Just a thought, 150 cf cylinders would last longer than the little 20 cf the tanks on that portable rig.

Byron

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've tried to learn oxy acet welding and it took along time to catch on. I would get a arc welder and a cutting torch. my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I already have a MIG welder, and I can't afford a plasma cutter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm a Victor fan, so I would recommend a Victor starter set. Just not one of the super cheapies, their bottom line stuff is pretty cheezy.

And those tanks are really only good for sweating copper and soldering, maybe a little light welding/brazing. Cutting will empty them in a hurry. And don't even think about using a rose bud, I doubt they would run a decent sized rose bud more than a few minutes when completely full...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have those "kangaroo pouch" outfits--its good for brazing panels,exhaust pipes,heating up rusty bolts,etc--but I would also say its damm near useless for cutting anything thicker than a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt.It took me 20 minites to cut the 4 u-bolts on my springs,and then the oxogen tank was empty.I have always regretted not getting the biggest tanks and "real" size torches--I'm always borrowing my buddys full size torch when I have to cut any heavier stuff.I tried buying another 20 cu.ft tank so I wont run out on weekends(darn welding supply places here close at 5 pm friday until monday /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)but I always seem to run out around 1pm on sunday.GET THE BIG TORCHES AND TANKS!!--unless you want to solder jewelry or copper pipes!. By the way,my setup was MAPP gas and oxogen--till I bought an adaptor to use my 20 lb. propane gas grill bottle.I noticed a slight loss in heat,but it works as good,just takes a little longer to heat up.Most of the scrapyards around here use propane--seems to last longer and is cheaper than acetelyne. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

For welding oxy-acetylene torches aren't the greatest, but they'll almost always do the trick in a pinch. For cutting, I can't say enough good things about them. I hacked off my steering arm on my Blazer twice (two different axles) and it did the job in a matter of seconds and those things are like an inch thick /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I hope if you plan on doing any welding with the torch that your experienced, cause they can be real tricky.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am maybe having seconds thoughts about this. Maybe I will just save up for a plasma cutter and get it in a few years. It sounds (the cutting part) a waste of time and money if it takes so long, and uses to much fuel. Thanks for the input, its always good to have experienced people to talk to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I upgraded my little pouch tanks for some that are about 2 1/2' tall and about 6" around or so. It cuts well and lasts alot longer than the original carry around tanks. I would look for a set up for sale at a yard sale. Usually you can get a set of the big tanks and dolly with cutting tools for 200 give or take. Cutting thin metals with a torch really sucks and leaves you more work than using other cutting methods.

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

In my opinion a torch is a must have in a shop and welding with gas isnt that big of a deal but usually you'll end up using the heat to bend or break something loose, expand something to make a tight fit or the cutting tip. I need one badly, this is the first time Ive been without one and Im lost /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Dont waste the money on a little kit. Checkout the local welding places or tractor supplies and get the fullsize tanks (lease them or buy the tank $250 for the set) then buy a torch handle kit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]
    Strap them into a cart, we just bought a cheapie wheel cart and use a ratchet strap to hold them in.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]