Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oxy or acetylene tank, trades ?

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by R72K5, Nov 6, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im in the market for normal sized acetylene and oxygen torch tank pair, but all i coudl do right now at this moment are horsetrades, so maybe soemoen has one or other extra they dont need ? i have complete '83 silverado k10 for parts, a th350, several 203 cases, adapter, a bunch of 4x4 and 2wd shafts, 6 lug rallies set, etc.

i recently managed to aquire torch head and hoses and regulators and guages, but no tanks yet, thats what im hunting for currently.

thanks for anything

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I knew you couldn't stand being without one for long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know, getting tanks from somebody other than a dealer can be dicey. Getting them filled is a PITA unless you have a lease or some sort of paperwork to prove ownership. I borrowed a set of tanks for a weekend project from a friend a couple years ago. He left town and I needed to use them while he was gone, but the tanks he lent me were almost empty.

At the gas dealer, CK Supply, they wouldn't fill them or swap them out even though I had all his info(name, address, phone#, blood type, ... everything!!) They said unless I had proof of ownership or papers on the lease they wouldn't fill them. I even offered $20 to the guy!!!

Recently I " borrowed " a set of a different brand from a jobsite at work. I tried to get them filled at another supplier, a little ma and pop fab shop, and the guy there told me the same thing. NO papers... NO gas!!

So now I just wait till I'm on a job with a cage of tanks and swap them out when nobody is looking and give the foreman $20.

I should probably lease a set of tanks, but why spend the money if I can get em at work for $20 from a company that goes through 5 or 6 on a job at a time?

Just thought I'd give you my experience's with second hand tanks. Good luck with your search!!

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I knew you couldn't stand being without one for long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
    ya got me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just to let you know, getting tanks from somebody other than a dealer can be dicey. Getting them filled is a PITA unless you have a lease or some sort of paperwork to prove ownership. I borrowed a set of tanks for a weekend project from a friend a couple years ago. He left town and I needed to use them while he was gone, but the tanks he lent me were almost empty.

At the gas dealer, CK Supply, they wouldn't fill them or swap them out even though I had all his info(name, address, phone#, blood type, ... everything!!) They said unless I had proof of ownership or papers on the lease they wouldn't fill them. I even offered $20 to the guy!!!

Recently I " borrowed " a set of a different brand from a jobsite at work. I tried to get them filled at another supplier, a little ma and pop fab shop, and the guy there told me the same thing. NO papers... NO gas!!

So now I just wait till I'm on a job with a cage of tanks and swap them out when nobody is looking and give the foreman $20.

I should probably lease a set of tanks, but why spend the money if I can get em at work for $20 from a company that goes through 5 or 6 on a job at a time?

Just thought I'd give you my experience's with second hand tanks. Good luck with your search!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, i know, around here when i had my setup that i bought i never once was ever asked if i had paperwork to prove i actually own a tank, i still have my paperwork for the two tanks, but i dont have tanks anymore, i traded them off a few months back for a motorcycle,

whe you take a tank in for exchange for a refilleld one they write down serial numbers off the tank and then write down numbers off tank they are giving you thats filled and you sign receipt form and off you go,
    so as long as tank is not stolen then you are good to go, but they never check on that, but they do have your name and signature with numbers of tank, so it doesnt matter if they check at that time or not.

so if you come across a tank in a trade or abandoned then the best thing to do would probably be to call Ili-Mo company and give them numbers and let them run them to see if anything bad is asociated with the tank(s)

i would think..

or something like that.

thanks