Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oxy torch flame color?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Oct 11, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Today I finally had some time and set up my oxy torch.
    I used 3 psi acetylene and approx 15-20 psi oxy (hard to tell on the oxy reg.)
    I cut some 1/4 steel plate. But I had a lot of popping and I'm not sure what's wrong. I have a book on welding that has a chapter on torching, and it's hard for me to tell exactly what color I should set my flame to.
    Here's what I'm doing.
    Opening the oxy valve on the torch all the way open.
    Opening the acetylene valve on the torch about 1/4 turn.
    Lighting the torch with a striker. It is very sooty.
    Opening the valve by the lever until I get a flame that is light blue on the outside and has a darker blue inner cone. The outer light blue is very light blue, almost see through, and the inner cone is a much darker blue, about an inch long.
    Of course I'm wearing those stupid green goggles so that may change my perception of the color.
    -- Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The popping is cuz you're starving it for fuel...turn up the Acetylene to between 5 and 7 psi on the bottle. O2 should be somewhere between 30 and 40 PSI. Any less will lead to some pretty gross edges...

It sounds as though you have a torch with three valves. Two low on the handle and one up near the oxygen bar. On torches like that I open the valve at the O2 bar and leave it like that.

To light...crack the acetylene valve and light the torch. Crack the O2 valve next to it to get rid of the smoke and adjust both until the outer flame is a light blue. Watch the inside of the flame (you don't need goggles to get it set up...only while cutting) Where the holes in the tip are there should be a sharply focused cone that's a darker blue than the outer flame. Kinda like an upside down crown...it should not look fuzzy at all.

The torch is adjusted correctly when you can hit the O2 bar and the flame doesn't change.

Rene

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i was taught that the oxygen should be at 20 and the acetaline at 8 to 10 psi.also the oxygen valve on the tank should be open all the way and the acetaline only a couple of turns.open acetaline first a little and strike it.open valve until the silt starts to disapear.then open oxygen valve until you get a blue cone about 1/2 inch to an inch from the tip of the torch.hope this helps

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

21K scan

33K scan

The first one is a small scan from the user guide for my torch.

The second one is much more informative - it's a sidebar from the welding/torching book I have.

Both recommend lower fuel psi - why?

I do realize I need more o2. Not sure why I had it turned that low.

-- Mike