Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oxydized Paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Aug 8, 2006.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Mar 25, 2001
    Same beater:D Paint on sides is great, paint on trunk lid, hood, and roof, not so great. Its really faded and oxydized.

Whats the best way to go about getting through the oxydation and getting the paint to shine again? I didnt think it would come out, but i did a little part on the trunck and its actually looks really good.

Tried some cheap ass compound my neighbor had, but its just that, cheap and doesnt work to well.

To give you an idea, here is the hood:

parts 036.jpg
  2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

May 26, 2003
    It looks way beyond saving, IMO. If you think it looks better, you can try rubbing compound since that is what it is made for. Just be careful because it will go through the paint pretty quickly.
  3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Apr 2, 2001
    Amost looks like there's a clear coat on there. If so, you won't go through to the paint. Downside is sometimes those clear coats are some weird plastic crap and don't buff out well if at all. It's worth a shot anyway to see if it can be refurbished...

If heavy duty rubbing compound doesn't get it off try wet sanding it with a block and some very fine paper (I'd start with 1200 or 800 and get coarser if needed, then go finer again), then use white rubbing compund to buff out the scratches, then buff it out with polish.

Always helped to have a good orbital buffer too - makes the job easier. But not required.