Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P.A.M. Transport anyone ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 13, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone here drive or ever driven for P.A.M. ?
    do they have any other positions other than drivers ?(stupid question really but hey)

if youve driven for them then did you let them provide their training to you ? how was it ? how is/was driving for them overall ? good, bad, so-so ?

any other transport company that provied training for non experienced entry level applicants such as i would be ?

a friend of mine the same as as i am left P.A.M. last year after staying weith them just for as long as agreed after using their training, then he went to another company for a very short time and mow doesnt drive at all, well actually he drives for a refuse company, he says now he has same benefits as he had when driving OTR, but is home every night instead of every couple or few nights, even though the farthest i knew he ever went to was Detroit.

how drivers magically find their way around to destinations- especially near or in cities is way beyond me, im scared,.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i guess you just magiclaly find your way some how /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thanks for any questions complaints comments, etc.

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how drivers magically find their way around to destinations- especially near or in cities is way beyond me, im scared,.. i guess you just magiclaly find your way some how

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot of fun, especially pulling a 53' long trailer with a 28' long truck.

[ QUOTE ]
    any other transport company that provied training for non experienced entry level applicants such as i would be ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could go up to the truck stop (the one with the Steak-n-Shake) and pick-up some little books that are full of companies advertising trying to find drivers. The books (they are more like little magazines) are free, just look through and if you see something that you like then call their recruting department and find out about the training and how long it will take to "pay it off". I drive locally now, but drove for 5 years OTR. I was gone M-F and home on the weekends, it sucked. You could always do like your friend did and use them to get your license and then go local. I think that American Frieght has a yard up there, if you could get on with them it would be great, BIG $$$.

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how drivers magically find their way around to destinations- especially near or in cities is way beyond me, im scared,.. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i guess you just magiclaly find your way some how /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe most truck lines dispach and track/communicate with their OTR trucks via satelite link/gps.

I'm not a driver, but I have talked with a few at our plant.
    They call our shipping office sometimes for directions though.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check out Steven's Transport

They have company training for non-experienced drivers. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Just remember, That as a "new" driver, your pay will suck, the home time sucks and people will hate you!! (other drivers)They hate new people!! I started with C.R. England. I didn't use their school though. I Paid a local school and got it done in 3 weeks. The long term benifits is what I looked at. I did OTR(over the road) for a year, just enough to be "experianced" then went to a local co. Cowan systems. I am home everynight, and am paid 40c a mile +. More than I made OTR with england! If you hook up with the right Company, there is good money to be made. The company I work for also does reginal driving. Some of the guys I work with are out 5-6 days(mon-sat), but they are getting 3,000 + miles at 41-42 cents. 1,600 gross pay a week. I plan on going back out on the road, But gotta get the "family" thing done first. Then the wife and I are gone!!

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hey R72K5,

Do exactly what the second post says. Go out to a truckstop and pickup a couple of those employment magazines. If you have any questions about driving a truck otr give me a call I'll answer any and all your questions. I'll send you my number in a PM. Only requirements to drive a truck is common sense and big balls period.