Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P.I.T.A Trailer Wiring Dilemma Last Night

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gumneck, Jun 6, 2003.

1. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Ok. Last night I needed to wire up the 91 BLZR for towing. Got the "supposed" easy plug right in 4 wire connector from Advance. Also had the splice version on hand too. Well on mine there is a connector coming down from drivers side taillight and one comes down from passengers side taillight. Both plug into connectors on the drivers side rear area. From these connectors the wires run down together and look to be spliced together from the factory. After the splice there was supposed to be another 4 prong connector which PO must have cut off for some dumb reason. I have a similar connector i got from boneyard and tried tying it in. Well no combination of which male/female connector I tried with the simple to use trailer connector worked. Sorry so long but what do you do?

I tried just using the truck's connector from the passengers side and the drivers side and lights worked brake lights worked but signal lights on trailer worked simultaneously regardless of which turn signal was on(right or left). So, after that I used the spliced version of trailer harness and had the same results. My ground wire I thought was decent. There was a hole in the bumper bracket that I put a bolt/nut thru. I feel like that is probably the problem as it usually is. Should I drill into frame and grind the paint off to get a better ground? I matched the wires up via color scheme. I've hooked my s-10 via splicing with no trouble and another vehicle too. Can't understand why this was such a biatch /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Tks for any help you got.
    Tom

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes, grounding to the frame is the way better way to go. Trying to ground to the bumper is ok, but, you have all the bumper mounting bolts that could be all rusty or dirty under them causing a bad ground.