Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

p/s pump pulley - diesel vs. gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2Blazer, May 16, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I need another p/s pump pulley that fits the 6.2 diesel pumps (hydroboost). Does anybody know if a gas version truck would have the a pulley that would work?

GM discontinued the part and 6.2 trucks in junkyards are kind of hard to find. The p/n they have is the same for all of the 6.2 powered trucks back to about '85 or '86 but different for the gas engines.....though the p/n is different I'm hoping the pulley might work.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not much help to your specific question, but if the P/N is different, the partis different, period.

However, GM would have had a different P/N if the diameter is different, if the belt setup was different (serpentine vs. V belt), "offset" is different, or if the retention method was different.

So it could be something simple like diameter that changed, and not a huge deal, or it could be pulley offset, which would be a real problem.

Have you checked that P/N at www.gmpartsdirect.com ? If a dealer told you it's discoed, it could be because the counter man was incompetant, or just too lazy to go back far enough.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's why I asked if a different pulley would just work....I know a different p/n will be different.

The parts guy SAID he cross-referenced the number for application and it came up as only the 6.2 trucks. I'm thinking it is likely that a gas version pulley might be different diameters to compensate for the different operating rpm ranges of the gas vs. diesel.

4. dyeager535

If you want I can look up the '85/86 6.2 pulley part number (I think), but I need to know what number you already have, if they gave you one.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The parts guy said they were all the same when I called, but after looking at the junkyard there is obviously different ones.

The original pulley (2 different diameters)on my '90 is stamped 1559213HD.

6. dyeager535

All 6.2L power steering pulleys.

'85 CKG123 W/AC 14067701 Pulley, PWR BRK BOOS PUMP
    '85-86 CK123 (6.2C,J) 15592123 Pulley, P/B BOOS PUMP

Neither of those numbers come up in GMPD, but I would email them and ask anyways, sometimes they can come up with them, and on top of that, if those aren't the right parts for your year, the RIGHT ones for you might be in stock under a different PN

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They are different. The diameter is roughly the same, but the offset is different and will not line up. At least that is the case for my hydro boost transplanted from an 85 6.2 onto my 89 TBI 350...

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

HA! Didn't even think of it when I replied a moment ago. I should have my old pully around here somewhere. Send me a PM with your address and I'll see if I can find it. I've gotten pretty burried the last couple of days, but I'm going to the shop tonight if I can to get some info on some sale items I posted...