Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

p.s. steering pump pulley questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TorkDSR, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

having issues. the bracket is made for my air compressor. and i need a double pulley for the PS pump. i cant get the old pulley off. the PS pump is believed to be from a 78. there is a allen head bolt in the end of the pulley. when i spin the bolt, the pump shaft spins, event though the pulley is held still.

is there a trick to getting the bolt out?

do i have to pull the pump outta the reservoir?]

thanks
    Ryan

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no bolt, you need to go to store and get a pulley puller, its a special puller you need

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have access to the pulley, i work at a parts store, i've also looked at the pump and there is a threaded hole with an allen bolt in it, this is before the pulley goes on, so i know its there. if there was no bolt, how would you get the new pulley tight enough when you switch/replace pumps /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? the new pumps never come with pulleys. since they are not keyed the pulley would just spin on the shaft....

ryan

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its not bolted, its press fit, tight, the allen is part of the actual shaftof the pump... you need to get a p/s pulley puller installer kit

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i'll give it a try, and may wind up appologizing tomorrow. but what keeps the pulley on other than press fit, makes no sense, how does the common guy press the pulley back on after he changes the pump....?

ill grab the puller from work tomorrow...
    Ryan

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

to press them back on, you use the tool in the box with the new pump. it's basicly a bolt that threads into the shaft and you then run another nut and washer down the threads of the bolt til the pully is pressed on.

Pressed fit is all there is. the old pulley is removed by using the power steering pulley puller which it sounds like you have.
    it grabs the pulley from the front collar and not the groove for the belt( you wouldn't believe how many chewed up ones I have seen from people using a 3 jaw puller on it,LOL

-Jeremy

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, thats two to one...i will humbly remove the old pulley tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ryan

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That pulley remover tool was sent strait from God. I wasted a lot of time trying to pull one off with a 3 jawed puller. Finnally got the right tool and it turns it into a joke.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and also if you try using anything else but the correct puller/installer tool kit then youll probably damage the pulley,

not sure why ppl sometimes argue over something they know they arent doing correclty ?? or that they know they don't know enough about ??

goodluck.

10. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Autozone sells a "long" pulley puller. They also sell a kit that has a "short" pulley puller and a pulley installer. The kit is the one you want. You can use the short or the long style pullers but the short one is great for front wheel drive vehicles. I have used these and they work like F/M!!

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Pull off, press on. The last one I did I used the puller made by Snap On. It was both the puller and installer in one tool. Worked great but I'm glad I wasn't the one who paid for it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

deed is done...i was wrong.

thanks guys

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Good Deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif