Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P Steering pump lines- O-ring or flare ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Sep 30, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    In my 82 blazer, does my power steering pump/gear box have flare fittings or the o-ring style ?? My pump has a crack at the very top, it has no effect on performace that i see, but i guess the fluid could get really high in the pump and get out. But my point is, i got a free pump with only 2000 miles on it from an engine my friend bought. It's from an 86 camaro and has the o-ring style connections on the pressurized line. Will it work if i swap the brackets ??? (long water pump versus short water pump) help me out guys !!
    BLAKE

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

'80 and newer boxes are the metric o-ring lines.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Take a look at the resevoirs and make sure that they are the same. If the pump body is at all like the truck ones, the truck bracket will bolt to it. If all of that is fine, you should swap the valves to keep the proper truck valving in your pump. To do this, just unscrew the large fitting where the high pressure line attaches and it will pop out. There are two parts and a spring, I think. While it's out, check to make sure that there is no junk in the little screen. Just put this whole valve train into the pump you're swapping to in the same way that it came out. The pressure line is a threaded connection and the return line is a short tube that the line attaches to with a hose clamp.

If the pump from the Camaro doesn't look the same, get another unit from a junkyard or just get a whole rebuilt pump for about $30 or $35 at your local store. Hope this helps.

<font color=green>Does a Dyslexic Insomniac Athiest lay awake at night wondering if there's really a Dog?</font color=green>