Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P/steering & ram Q's UPDATE*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Feb 25, 2006.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've just put crossover and hydro assist on my '91. Am I right in thinking that the power steering pump has to be able to breath? I've made an extension for the filler neck but am not using the standard cap. When i rev the motor the extension tube collapses and the pump makes an horrible noise. If I losen the cap off it sems ok. It looks like the standard cap has a tiny vent tunnel in it under the seeling washer, correct?
    Second question is, when I used to get to full lock the pump would make that tell-tale hum so you knew you were at full lock, but now the ram just wants to bend the tie rod and the pump doesn't make any noise!:doah: I did the basic mods to the pressure valve but nothing too drastic. It actually flexes the tie rod easily at idle....goodness knows what it'll do to it at higher revs. I can't see the TRE's lasting long! Anyone else had this problem? Have I built too much pressure into the pump?
    Any thoughts appreciated guys!

power steering 001 copy.JPG

power steering 004 copy.JPG

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yes, the factory caps are vented. The other issue of the ram moving farther than the axle is a bad predicament. If it were just cross over, I might suggest that the pitman arm was too long, but with the hydro my guess would have to be the ram, or placement of the ram. You can probably double check the rod end adjustment as well. Shorten on the side that is trying to go too far.

Be sure to have the vehicle weight on wheels when you are testing things. The spring compression can change how the steering works.

3. southernspeed

I've got it on stands at the moment so it's the same as on it's wheels. It's trying to go too far each way but it is a 8" ram which I thought was correct? When it's at full lock either way it is pushing/pulling in a straight line to the axle. Guess I could back off my steering stops a bit but I'll have to see how much tire clearance I have.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

8 inch ram for D60, looks like you have a 44.10 bolt to me... or a 6 lug 60...

i think its a 7.75 inch stroke for the half tons. i cant remember right though.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

There will be a slight difference between on the tires and on stands, even if the stands are under the axle...I found this out when I initially tested out my crossover setup.

6. southernspeed

Yeah it's a 10blt with 44 knuckles. I didn't know they had a shorter stroke. I guess there's no way around that apart from another ram or maybe modifying this one?

7. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Correct me if i am wrong but in that pic it looks like the spring is against the ram. It may be an illusion, but if it isnt i see bad things happening.

8. southernspeed

No, the ram is well clear of the spring. The tie rod is close but has enough clearance.
    Anyone else know about the ram length for a 10blt?

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The factory cap does have a breather hole in the middle as you've thought it does. With the set up you've done why not get yourself another P/S pump and cut off the top portion with the cap and install it into your extension hose so you will still have a factory vented cap? I also see you've got a kilby enterprises York bracket installed. I too bought my mounting kit from them and i have a different idea i'm about ready to do with my P/S resevoir. I have a factory fender well mount resevoir from a hydro boost system that i'm going to mount somewhere off of my York compressor and use the factory 3/4" oil hose down to the pump and attaching it to the pump with a groomet for this purpose that i bought from a Chrysler dealer.

About the ram situation, i've heard of people having to tear apart the ram and make a spacer to limit the travel to as little as 6".

10. southernspeed

I'd like to see a pic of that resevoir set up when you're done. I acyually measured the movement from lock to lock before I made up the brackets that I've welded to the axle and rod. It was 'just about' 8" but as I already had '8" rams' in my head when I measured it I didn't bother doing it 'too' acurately. It must be fairly close to that though. I've never looked inside one of these rams but I guess it'll be fairly obvious how to limit travel with spacers.
    I'll mount the wheels/tires up this week and see if I can get away with backing off the factory stops a bit. Maybe that'll sort it out.

11. 4X4HIGH

Ok, you'll get your wish. This post has finally made me get off my arse and get it done. I'm working on it now and should be done a little later today. I need to go round up a few things then back to the progress of making a bracket to hold the resevoir, by the way, i'm making it so that it will mount off of two of the Kilby mounting bolts so if you wanted when i'm done i could give you specs to make one just like it. :thumb:

12. southernspeed

Glad to have been of inspiration!!!:D

13. 4X4HIGH

Ok, bracket is made and the remote resevoir is now mounted and hooked up. There are pics in my gallery of the bracket i made along with the power steering resevoir boot i bought from the dealer and the whole thing mounted.

Power steerin resevoir 006.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  14. southernspeed

Good set up Scott. So does that Chrysler boot fit into the top of the pump tight enough not to leak, then you fit a pipe and hose to bring it up to the resevoir (is that a hydro-boost res?)
    Just out of interest, what did you use as an air tank and where did you mount it?

15. 4X4HIGH

The boot is a Chrysler item and it fits over the neck of the power steering pump and clamps on with a hose clamp. The small end of the boot is 3/4" so i found a short steel 3/4" valve cover nipple and hose clamped it to the boot and then some 3/4" oil hose up to the resevoir. Yes it is a hydro boost resevoir.

My air tank is a 2 1/2 gallon tank that i purchased from sun performance. I mounted it on the inside passenger side framerail just about where the fuel filter sits.

16. southernspeed

:waytogo: Thanks for the info.

17. southernspeed

OK, bit of an update and a poss new problem. I think it's not a ram issue. I've messed about with the steering stops to no avail but I've noticed that when I put it on full right lock the drag link (cross-over) is still pushing after the axle knuckle can't turn anymore so it's actually pushing the whole axle across bending(twisting) the leaf springs. I can see that I could adjust the drag link to sort of even it out a bit but at the moment when my wheels are straight ahead so is my steering wheel. I don't really want my stering wheel on the piss while I'm driving.
    Anyone had this ssue?

18. 4X4HIGH

Here is where i would start. Move your rig to a place where you can move it forward a bit then leave it there while you make an adjustment. Ok, drive the rig forward a good distance without your hands on the steering wheel so that the wheels will find the exact straight ahead position. Now disconnect the crossover linkage from the pitman arm. Rotate your steering wheel all the way to one side (lock), now as you count the turns turn the wheel all the way to the opposite side (lock), now turn the steering wheel back half that amount of turns and you have found dead center on the steering box. If your steering wheel is on correctly it should be on straight if not remove steering wheel and correct. At this point you need to adjust the crossover linkage so that it will bolt back onto the pitman arm and now you know that your complete steering system is centered properly. If you have any issues now it is either the steering stops need adjusting or your ram needs to be limited on the travel.

19. southernspeed

Ok Thanks. I'll give that a go when I've got the rear end done.
    I turned the truck around last night so i coiuld work on the rear easier and have to say, it's weird driving with cross over.(and no sway bar). The truck really seems to 'tilt' at the front when you turn the wheels to manouvre. I only drove it out into the street and did a 3 point turn to get it back into the driveway(rear end still on 31's and no lift) but it seemed so weird compared to the stock set up. It really seemed to pull the truck about over the axle. Guess that's normal? I had no sway bar on my last '78 but that had stock steering so it didn't notice.
    I'll get the shackle flip etc done on the rear then give your suggestion a go.
    Thanks!