Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P/U truck tailgate?? **anyone have pics?**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nofeartruckin00, Sep 10, 2002.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I've been talking to big d about the truck tailgate he put on his blazer. My blazer is a '91, and the tailgate i picked up is ......... somewhere around mid 80's i think. The latch is diffent on the tailgate than the one for the blazer. Does anyone know if there would be a striker plate that i could get off the pickup and bolt to the blazer? The latch mechanism on the blazer is higher up than the pickup style tailgate also. Any help is greatly appreciated! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

**Looking for pics of pickups, from the rear with the tailgate open, especially where the top latch meets the striker part on the inside of the bed.**

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Re: P/U truck tailgate ??

What you need is 100% of the PU gate hardware. All the threaded holes shounld be there in the jamb area. Youll need the PU hinges, strickers and straps. Basicly if its in the gate jamb on a PU you need it to install in the Blazer.

3. nofeartruckin00

Thanks, thats what big d said too. Just wasn't sure if the striker plate would bolt up, but sounds like it will. Thanks!

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its super easy. The striker plate is part of the hinge.

5. nofeartruckin00

Hmmm............ what does it latch to on the blazer then? There must be some part i have to steal off the pickup. My brain just must not be working, sorry everyone /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . The blazer latch point is too high. Maybe i'll have to pop open an older tailgate sitting at wally world and see how it latches. Would anyone happen to have a pic of their pickup with an open tailgate? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Although this isnt the best pic, you can kinda see what everyone is talking about. The years you are talking about should work because MTpockets has a 79 and I have an 89 and the tailgate and hardware he had on his truck bolted right to mine.

[​IMG]

7. nofeartruckin00

Ahhhh...... there we go, i think i understand now, FINALLY! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif (sorry, too many paint fumes today). So i have to ditch the latch deals that are on the blazer body now, and im going to need to get those pickup style catches and bolt those onto the blazer. I think i understand. It looks like that piece is the tailgate catch plate AND the strap attachment point, so it would just bolt into that one hole that the blazer uses now as the bolt that holds the tailgate strap. Thank you every one very much!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. bigjbear

I don't remember if it was the same hole, but the P/U is not really a strap, its two pieces of metal. You will need to remove the Blazer hinges, but the striker plates can say or go, they won't interfere w/ the P/U gate. The P/U hinges mount to the post. The gate goes in round side first oval last. Flip the steel "straps" the wrong way when putting it on then lower the gate and raise it, they will return to normal, this makes it easier to install.

9. nofeartruckin00

It's all becoming very clear to me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Thanks for the tip! Would chevy have the straps/mount part still available? I was getting parts from kennyw (great seller by the way), and i don't think he has those parts.

10. bigjbear

I know they have the hinge parts, but I am unsure about the strap parts. They don't suffer from rust as bad so the demand would be lower. On the plus side, the ones in the j/y's are usually intact.

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I may be able to get you the straps and catches too. Just need to wait till a friend gets back from a funeral (may be next week). I have the pivots for you but just need to find the time to dig them out before dark since the yard light isnt wired up yet at home!

12. nofeartruckin00

Hey, no problem! I just finished painting the tailgate, and won't start on the lexan window until this weekend or next week, so no rush. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Shoot me a PM whenever you get ahold of the parts. Thanks for all the help everyone!

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There were two styles of trunnions (sp?) used on pickup tailgates (split early 80's I think). I think the difference came when they stopped printing "Chevrolet" and "GMC" across the center of the tailgate and started printing it in the lower passenger's side corner. All mounting locations stayed the same, but the size (diameter) of the round lower portion (hinges) changed size. As long as you get the tailgate and hardware from the donor vehicle (that works) it will bolt up fine to your blazer. Also beware that the blazer tailgate bolts differently than the P-U tailgate. I have noticed on some blazers that the area where the P-U tailgate would mount is a rusty/crusty mess (just something to think about before spending the $$).
    Hope this helps

14. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the info. I checked over the hinge mounting area before i began searching for a tailgate. The paint is peeling, but the metal is solid. Once i get the parts, mounting the tailgate shouldn't be very difficult. I'm more worried about getting my lexan window to seal out the fumes/cold air once i get the tailgate on. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just installed the pickup tailgate from an 85 pickup on my 85 Jimmy. Everything related to the original tailgate is removed, and everything related to the pickup gate is bolted on. The hinges, the rubber guides, the rubber stops, the latches (with the support straps attached to them) all had holes to bolt to. The lower side spots where the hinges themselves bolt to on mine were rusted away, but I welded in a small repair patch and drilled the holes in that. One thing you have to do tho or it will cause you lots of headaches: run a tap thru all the threaded holes on the side pillars of your K5, mine were all filled with paint from never having a bolt in them, and as soon as the bolt encounters any resistance (paint) it will twist the back nut off... then you are fighting with a visegrip or wrench trying to get your halfway threaded bolt back out or all the way in. I just took a punch, knocked the back nut off, took it to the bench ran the tap and bolt thru it on the vise, then held it with a open end wrench from inside the tailight housing hole and bolted the stuff on. It works like a damn, and weighs sooo much less! When my hardtop goes on for the winter I am taking a piece of plexiglass, cutting it to size, sliding it up inside the top rails and using something (still in design stage /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) to hold it up. Then the gate will open and close under the glass with no headaches at all!

Good Luck.
    Mike

16. nofeartruckin00

Thanks for the tips! I run my hardtop year round, so i am working on the plexiglass window too. I was going to use lexan, because it is twice as thick, and is very hard to scratch. But because it is so expensive, i'm just going to use regular plexiglass for now. Because the truck tailgate is about half as thick as the blazer one, it looks like you can screw two flat pieces of sheet metal to the bottom of the cap to hold up the window. That way the window will stay in place while you drop the tailgate. I'll take pics when i get that far. Did you figure out anyway of locking your tailgate? Poplock makes a lock that slides under and over the handle, so you cant lift it, but they only make them for '89 and newer versions /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Im not sure how to keep the window in. A friend of mine suggested using two of those gate/ door locks... the ones with the sliding rod that you flick up, slide it, then flick it down. I havent looked at how to fasten it or where yet... I will worry about that after I get the hardtop back on. I dunno if a guy can incorporate it in yet or not... but worth a shot.

Let me know if ya come up with anything, and I will vice versa.

Mike

18. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

hey, when you come up with that window idea id like to see pics if possible. thanks.

19. bigjbear

PM Grim about the window.

20. nofeartruckin00

Will do, i'll be working on it this week, hopefully.