Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

P-valve???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Troopie's Tonka, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

I keep bleeding the rear brakes and seem to get it right, no air, good flow...but when i put it in drive, the brakes don't stop the wheels. New master cyliner, pads, etc. Last time I had this problem I took it to the shop with a brand new p-valve. My mechanic told me that he was able to fix the problem without putting the new part in. Said something about that he popped out one of the valves or something. Does anyone know what he was talking about? and is this something that I can do cheaper? and how. thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The p-valve more commonly know as a proportioning valve is found inline to the rear brakes. This valve limits brake fluid flow to the rear under soft braking conditions. The front utilizes a metering valve which limits flow to the front under hard breaking conditions. Both of these valves are there to prevent lock up. Anyways, sometimes your rear brakes work like crap because they are incorrectly adjusted or the self adjusters are siezed up. Double check the adjustment. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

the rear brakes are adjusted right, they are not loose at all.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Well it could well be the proportioning valve is gummed up, try replacing it if you can(you said the tech didn't replace it right). /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif