Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pacesetter Shorty Headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 25, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone have exerpience with these? I'm thinking since I want the best power out of my 383 but I want shorty headers, equal primary shorties are the way to go. Considering switching projects(sister wants my S10 for a driver). I would likely Jet-Hot them too.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Are you putting them in a K5? If you are they wont fit. Those headers are for IFS trucks. If you want power go, with long tube headers. Long tube headers make more power and torque than shortys. But if you want shortys.... Equal length shortys are a MAJOR PIA to change spark plugs. Some I have seen require the headers to be removed to change plugs. They really aren't worth the very slight gain in power over unequal IMHO.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It is an IFS rig. I know long tubes would be more power, but with the high pinion and rotated up doubler I'd rather try to keep the exhaust away from my front driveshaft ;)

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I figgured you knew what you were doing.:grin: But i thout I'd warn about the fitment in k5. i have seen a lot of people buy shorties for IFS trucks thinking they will fit same year K5. and be dissapointed that they dont fit K5.

I dont really have experience with the pacesetter brand headers. I have a pace setter H pipe on my Mustang. It is pretty good quality and fit perfict. I have more experience with unequal length shorties in cars than in trucks The power diference between equal length and un equal shorties really is not that great. maby 5 hp on a dyno if even that. I dont think you will be able to even feel the diference in a truck. Most people I know and have talked to who run equal length shorty headers in cars hate them because of plug access and high under hood temps. But with the bigger engine compartment in a truck it might be a little better for heat and accesability. But in my opinnion they just aren't worth the extra money they cost just to maby gain a few HP.

*** Also wanted to add with that 383 check the primary tube diamater. Most shortys are 1 1/2" There are a few out there that are 1 5/8" Edelbrock makes ceramic coated Stainless 1 5/8 shorties for around $ 350. 1 5/8 primaries would make better power on your 383.