Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Packing grease in front hubs??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Nov 1, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey gents. I was told over the weekend by someone that when packing the bearings and re-installing the front hubs that the best thing for "us" as wheelers to do is to pack the hub full of grease and then slide it on the spindle. This way when we go mudding or get the front hubs submerged under water, that the water will not be able to get inside the hubs to get at the bearings. While this sounds logical to me, I'm thinking that when the grease gets hot and expands it would pop the inner seal out. Anybody got .02 on this?

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well packing the backside like you indicated is not a bad thing at all. Don't forget that there is a set of bearings where the axle stub passes through the spindle that also needs attention and it is more prone to water issues than the back of the hub. Pack it full also. Now on the front side where the locking hub you need to be carefull. Packing the locking hub itself may result in the hub not engaging or realasing especialy in cold weather. just a light film on those parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim. Yep I grabbed a big wad of grease and let the axle have it before I put the spindles back on as well as replaced those bearings and seals.
    I was just concerned, since I have it all back together, the brakes were "smokin" real good after the first ride around the neighborhood. And since have stopped but still has a light burning smell. But everything seems to work great.

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

One step better, use synthetic grease. Won't mix with water, won't break down and start to run out your hubs and you won't need to repack as often or as much. I use AMSOil purple synthetic. Have been since 1983.

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'll remember that next time I'm in there. I hate dealing with grease. Gets on everything.

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I've used Sta-Lube blue boat trailer wheel bearing grease for 20 years with great results. Its much cheaper than synthetic and does the same thing (where do you think boat trailers go??). As for packing bearings, try throwing a glob of grease in a zip lock sandwich bag along with the bearing and knead away until its fully pack then remove from the bag!! Cuts down on the mess in your hands!!

ken

7. I use marine-bearing grease to help repel water in the front of my truck.I also use a small amount of motor oil on my hubs to help seal them up and keep them working god in cold weather.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

While the baggy idea is most geniuos. I cheezed out and bought one of those little packing gadgets from Auto Zombie's, oops, I mean Auto zone. :)