Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Packrat pays off

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, not really pays off, but in a sense so. I've always held onto extra computer parts I've acquired over the years. Girlfriend's laptop finally takes a ****, and she needs a computer for some of the classwork she has to do.

Rummage around through a few boxes and drawers and she's getting:

Old Dell Optiplex GX400 (Pentium 4 1.4, 512 mb RDRAM), 40 gb hdd, 52x12x52x cd-rw drive, 16x dvd-rom, nvidia geforce4 gfx card, ati tv tuner, v.92 modem, linksys wifi, sound blaster live! audio, and a 17" viewsonic monitor.

Win 2k Pro (I refuse to use XP, 2k Pro is about the most stable OS I've seen from Redmond), Matlab, AutoCad, MS Office, Nero, and some audio/video mastering tools I still need to dig up.

All that was extra crap I just had layin around :eek1:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got an extra copy of autocad laying around? :D

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Nope, and that's autocad mechanical desktop. Badass program if you use all the features. Combine that with the capability of matlab :P

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Holy hell, is your g/f an aeronautical engineer or what?

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

...x2

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Nope, but I'm installing those programs on her computer so I can use them. I run linux on my computer, and don't feel like dual-booting Windows/Linux and rebooting every time I want to fiddle with autocad.

Simple solution now is to put it on her computer.

Edit:

Now that I think of it, I've got .NET I can install, too ;)

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Give her XP, you're doing her a disservice giving her 2k on a machine fully capable of XP. Why would you refuse to use XP? Stability shouldn't really be a reason.

XP SP2 is actually the most stable OS M$ has ever released. Stability fears are probably something you can forget about with XP. I wasn't (and still am not) a fan of XP's playskool interface, so I wrote scripts and policies to keep it "Classic" on all machines I set up. I don't get why M$ and Apple seem to think sales people or executives want pretty colors and cheesy shapes when they create presentations and balance books... Home users it's understandable, but for a business it just seems like unnecessary and poorly executed attempts to go beyond functionality... Well anyway, if they didn't provide the Classic shell, I'd probably refuse to use XP also...

In the 3 or 4 years I've been using XP, I don't think it's ever crashed (outside of hardware problems unrelated to OS). 2000 is very stable and capable, but XP is better and more capable. Heck, you don't even need 3rd party software to burn CD's with XP. To tell you the truth, I've kind of forgotten the idea of OS stability since I rolled out XP/2K only on my networks. But when I use a 2k machine nowadays (all my work servers unfortunately), I get annoyed with little lack of things here and there, and slight differences in command line stuff that's improved in XP.

Give her XP, I doubt you'll regret it. Not that you'd probably regret 2k, but you might find yourself (or her) a little more satisfied with the machine with XP.

Many of the nations radio and satellite stations run all their audio from XP machines... Not that that actually means anything, just a nifty little tidbit...

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Also another reason for 2k Pro is I don't have a copy of XP. ::shrug::

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: That's a good reason... After I posted that I started thinking about the activation requirement for non-enterprise versions. I went through it over the weekend for the first time ona side-job machine, and it's pretty annoying. Makes it kinda hard to pirate...But there's always a way...;)

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A little off topic, but I realized within a few months of buying my acreage that you NEVER throw anything out. I have a little stockpile of odd things stored behind the shed, from a couple pieces of rebar to a bunch of 2x4/2x6 cutoffs to an old piece of 4" pipe. You never know when something that was once considered junk could become useful........

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Oye, I need to send you a pic of my dad's 4.5 bay garage, with a loft, and frontage, all loaded with misc old junk. Oh yeah, and his basement and half of mine... We could convince you to change you mind about the "Never" part...:) :)

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, I kind of miss being at VT. There were LAN-based installs you could do of XP Pro, Office XP, .NET, etc. all for free :|

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you have any extra good vid cards?

14. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Nope. I've got just a couple extra drives, some old software, KVM switch, printer, and cables out the wazoo laying around now.

This would be the second computer I've built from parts-on-hand, so now I'm left with some meager remnants. If you would have caught me about a week ago I had a junk laptop to spare (DC power control board was toasted).