Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Padding for roll bar???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jan 30, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What have you guy's used to pad your roll bars???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I plan on building my own cage (got the chop saw, cheapo bender is next), you might want to check some circle track sites. I typed in "Circle Track Parts" in a search engine and found 3 or 4 sites with weld-on suspension link tabs, all sorts of rod ends and DOM tubing, pre-made corner gussets and even roll bar padding. It was cheap too and you can get it in colors!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I used Armorflex, a refergeration line insulation. You can get it at a A/C or Plumbing supply. I comes in 6' lengths and various inside diameters, you can choose one that will fit your tubing snugly.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

you want something somewhat hard to slow your head down before it hits the really hard steel bar. Most (not all) of the pipe insulation your going to find in a home store just doesn't have the durometer to do the job. Jegs and Summit both sell SFI rated roll bar pad. The stuff I think I am going to get is is the half round self adheasive stuff they sell. Just face it towards the passenger compartment. My thought is it won't trap water when it rains.. Since it's only pointed towards the inside of the vehicle there won't be any issues of it getting snagged by branches and torn up or off.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>