Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paddock Parts? *UPDATE - Paddock SUCKS!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I in the process of searching for body parts for my K10 (you know a gawbladder, a left arm, and both feet... ;) :haha: :bow:)

But seriously, things like rocker panels, cab corners, maybe front fenders, rear bumper, bed side steps, and bed fenders.

So I ask you, has anyone dealt with these people before? Is their sheet metal good quality?

http://www.paddockparts.com/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  2. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I know I have delt with them before for my camaro, but I didn't order anysheet metal. They had so-so customer service, they had some ditz on the phone when I called, really irritating. The stuff I did order was pefect fit interior peices.

3. Chevy305

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest with you, I can't recall ANYONE saying aftermarket sheetmetal fit like a GM piece would have.

If you want metal that fits and is good quality, first check GM. Some stuff stays in inventory longer than others, you might get lucky.

You mention bumpers...LMC has the triple plated bumpers for reasonable cost last I saw, when/if I replace mine I figure thats the route I'll go. I believe they are the first company I've seen that actually advertised bumpers that were plated like GM's, not cheaply as most chrome is done anymore.

5. Chevy305

I'm looking for a painted bumper, because chrome don't get ya home ;)

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

WORD!! Once you go black you never go back!:haha:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the FACTORY installed it, that doesn't count. :)

8. Chevy305

*update*

So I desided to order my new rear bumper and mounting kit from Paddock Parts last week. Their most recent catalog lists the bumper as $129.95 which is a good price. So I go on the internet to make the order and their site has errors all over place so I search by part#. I got the part, but its listed for $159.95. :mad:
    I call them up but its 4:50pm on a wednesday, and they closed for the day. :mad: I call them the next day and the costomer service lady was very snippy and rood at me. She fed me the line of "prices are subject to change". So I say that either you give me the difference or you lose my buisness. She refused so I hung up.
    2 days later I made the mistake of ordering the bumper anyway. I get an email confirmation that says the bumper has been back ordered. So I call them up and they say it'll take 4-6 weeks. So summer is over by the time I'd get this bumper :mad:. So I canceled the order on the spot.

The next day I ordered my new bumper from JC Whitney for $149.99. It shipped out next day and it arrived a week later. :cool1:
    I think I got a much better deal too. :deal:

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just a fyi for all. body parts are all made by the same jap place. just diffrent sticker on them. i have seen this before lots of times. on rockers/doors/fenders and so on.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditto....

I see "parts swaping" at Warehouses all the time!...they are out of one brand,so they use another and put it in the "good" brands box,or swap labels or stickers..many times the only difference in prices is the amount of mark-up the retailer is tacking on,not quality or workmanship..90% of all body and "crash" parts come from Tiwan or China,and many places buy them in bulk,and use a label of their own choosing to identify the "brand",like "Fitwell",etc...

My friend just bought a USED factory style step/tow bumper for his 97 S-10.
    I asked him why he went for a USED one over NEW??--he buys fenders and other patch panels from "Certi-Fit" in Randolph Ma,and they usually have good prices..he said he never looked in his catalog,figured it would be at least 100 bucks...

I looked it up,and they get about 85 bucks for one!--he paid 60 for the boneyard one!..a regular chrome bumper can be had for 50 bucks!...you could have likely gotten a bumper there for way less than J.C. Whitney's price,but you'd probably have to go pick it up yourself...I've used their "patch panels",and they are about as cheesy as everyone elses--probably because the same factory stamps them out!...:crazy:

11. Chevy305

I'm confused now, where should I get all the patch panels, core support and front fenders I need? I was planning on buying it all from Year One or Good Mark.

I just bought a used door from a guy for $80. It was all sanded down, primed and ready for paint. Plus it is rust free.

12. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Dude, you are confused. If it was made in Japan, it would probably be better than the original GM part. It is China and Taiwan that usually make the crap these days.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Taiwan...

And every aftermarket panel I've ever seen was the same...

14. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I think JC whit galvanizes their shizzle, while LMC has painted stuff. Looks like it comes from the same presses though. I'd rather have it painted, although zinc fumes will give you a good buzz. :wink1:

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Places that made decent patch panels..

Not sure if these places still exist,but we bought repair panels from a place called "Mill Supply" in Ohio that had decent gauge and quality..I sold "Schott" brand panels at one parts store,but they were old stock from the 70's--very good quality,but I doubt the company still exists now..

Another place I bought stuff from at swap meets is Autobody Specialties in Middlefield CT...they had some impressive panels when I first saw their display years back--but the last time I saw their display at a swap meet,they had the same tiwan stuff you now see everyone selling--only some of their rockers and cab corners looked like the "old" stock they once had..I think its going to be a crap shoot as to where to buy "good" stuff now...they all sell the same crap now it seems..might as well pick the cheapest priced ones,since they will likely be the same..or make your own!..

I prefer a good used door from a junkyard,to swapping all the rubbers and guts into a tiwan door that is as thick as your average stove pipe is...you did good if you got a rust free one for 80 bucks around here!..:crazy:

16. Chevy305

That "Mill Supply" place still exists. I just googled them and they have good prices. I am not sure of the quality though.