Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Padre Island Trip/Big Shell Beach

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JMZ, Jan 2, 2002.

1. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

Who has been or wants to go to Big Shell. I have only been about 23 miles down the beach. That was with my CC Diesel Pickup. I want to go all the way to the land cut someday. Someday is as soon as I get my Blazer ready.

2. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd love to go. I've been in Houston for a couple years and have never been out there. Where is Big Shell Beach at? My truck should be ready in a month or so..let's go.

3. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

BigShell beach is about 25 miles down Padre Island. I want to go all the way to the Land Cut, It is about 60 miles down the beach. That is what divides Padre and South Padre Islands. Looks like it will be the end of march before I will be able to go.

4. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Make sure that you take extra fuel, as the going gets soft if it is high tide and you will use a lot of fuel. Check the tide tables, found on the internet, so you know when to go and how much time you have between tides. When the tide gets real high, you will be forced to drive close to the dunes and the sand is pretty soft. I have a winch with a 20# anchor on it to pull myself out if I get stuck. You are correct, it is about 56 miles from the start of the "4WD" area to the land cut.
    Remember, don't drive in or on the dunes as the Park Rangers will get you..... the fine is pretty high.. also no vehicle can be driven on the beach that is not licensed...
    Have Fun!!!!!

5. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I should be up and running by March, let me know!!