Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paging TPI people

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brians89K5, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Okiedokie, Im almost ready to get a TPI setup in my truck and was wondering what it was you fellas used to get your truck up and running with a tpi unit. I've got my TPI sitting in my garage and I know how to install it, my problems are with how to get the computer to communicate with and wireing to work together. Thanks a bundle!

~Brian

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i used a tbi wiring harness and repined the connetors for the 730 ECM and am using a custom chip that i burned myself. If you need any wiring digrams just let me know i have a lot of info laying around on TPI

3. Brians89K5

I will gladly accept any and all wireing diagrams and help i can get on this one. How much of the wireing harness from the TPI car did you use? My truck is an 89 so it is already fuel injected. Can I use much of my factory harness? Thanks for the reply!

~Brian

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What year is the TPI donor? If pre-90 (think that is right) you should be pretty well set, if it's after that, VSS is going to be a little problematic.

5. 1979jimmy350

if you are going speed density you will only need the ecm, iat and injector connectors. You will have to run just a few new wires though, whats a email to send the digrams to?

6. Brians89K5

I think my TPI units are not speed density. Although one of the ones I grabbed was from an IROC so it was pre 90'. Im not for certain yet. Ill get back on that one. Whats the difference besides the Mass airflow sensor? I know they have translators for those. I think you can fake the computer into getting a Mass air flow sensor reading. I think it may be time to research. How can I tell the difference between speed density and the other? Thanks again folks!

~Brian

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need to know which version of TPI you are running. MAP or MAF. MAF is the older system with the Mass Airflow sensor. MAP is the Manifold absolute pressure sensor.

As far as wiring goes I used a Painless wiring harness for the MAF TPI system I run in my truck and it worked very well. Everything is marked out and is pretty darn simple. It is a stand alone harness so you won't need any of the old TBI harness. I know that you can use TBI harness with some mods and repinning.

thirdgen.org is a great source for stuff like this.

Harley

8. 1979jimmy350

if you have a older TPI that is no problem, you can use the map sensor that you have on you TBI and just plug it in to manifold vaccum and the TPI will now be speed density.

9. dyeager535

Well, and repin/add a connector or two as well, but the TBI harness can be made to work.

The difference is the ECM and the MAF/MAP for the two systems. No reason to wate time worrying about "faking" any readings, that's not the right way to do it.

Do not forget that one of the major reasons for an injection swap is driveability, and ANYTHING removed from the stock setup (which was warrantied and GM spent billions on R&D), is liable to cause you problems later on. Some things can be, some can't, worry about doing it as close to stock as you can.

10. Brians89K5

my goal was the bottom end grunt that TPI gives you. I am a member of thirdgen.org and Im gonna pick some of their brains as well. I own a thirdgen camaro that I am restoring as well... Lots of projects! The Z is a Map. I was thinking of going the painless way but wanted to see what you folks have done already. If anyone wants to send me diagrams, my email addy is. BriGuy8679@aol.com. Thanks for the helpfull comments.

~Brian

11. dyeager535

Over at thirdgen I believe there is an article about re-pinning TBI to MAP TPI.

It really does help to understand what each wire does and where it goes IMO. Plus I'm cheap. :)

12. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i just got one out of a 92. vss programed out

13. dyeager535

So what will you do when it starts stalling when you let off the gas?

It's a real crapshoot deleting VSS, some get away with it, some don't. I'd hate to have a problem going downhill or something. :(

14. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

15. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

stalling?doesnt stall when i let off the gas.
    my deleting of the vss hasnt failed me yet...just cross your fingers hahaha..

i've had to slam on my brakes before and the truck just continued running fine.