Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paging Z3PR and other stereo gurus

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Drey, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ok so before you laugh to hard Im installing a Bazooka Tube in my Blazer. Reasons why, Cheap, all self inclosed and easy to remove when I need space(i actually mounted it on a peice of plywood instead of the floor:rolleyes: )

Anyway I got everything all Hooked up. Good 12 Volt source, Good Ground, But no power to the Remote Wire. I checked my Headunit which is an Alpine with 0 - 15 Sub setting and also a Sub On/Off Setting. I had it on and turned to 15...no dice.

I ran the RCAs and Remote wire whenI installed the Head Unit 2 1/2 years ago. My guess is that the Remote Wire had rubbed(I found a spot near the end wear it had rubbed off the insulation) and shorted either the wire out or a fuse somewhere.

Im going to tear into tommorrow and run a new wire for the remote lead. Hopefully that will work, if it doesnt do you guys think I fried something interally on my headunit?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have shorted a remote wire to ground and the remote lead never had power again. I imagine there is an internal fuse in the radio, but I just ran another wire.
    If you grounded out the remote wire for the headunit you can just run a "key on" wire to the remote lead on the amp. It is best if you put a switch inline and a fuse. This way you can turn it off when you want, but if you forget, the amp won't stay powered up all the time.

Of course you can disconnect the remote wire and then jump the power wire to the remote input to be sure that is your problem.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Nice reply Leper, you covered all the bases.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

So your saying all I need for the remote wire is 12 volts from whatever source I choose?

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Pretty much yes. The 'remote wire' is simply a wire that carries a low amperage 12volt signal down it. When the amplifier/EQ/preamp device recieves a 12v signal from the wire, it turns on. So in effect you could fool the system by simply adding a 12v hot wire with a switch (preferrably off the ignation switch like said above).

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ok cool, I was gonna go do and I glanced at the book quick, turns out there is a supplyed jumper wire that clips into a little harness. Automatic ON/OFF whenever it gets a signal through the RCAs, Pretty damn neat I thought. I am still put a switch in though, Then I can turn it off quick and easy if I so choose.

I never thought 1 8 inch would make such a difference but wow, talk about livening(sp) up a stereo

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Even on a fairly elaborate system like in the Alero, I still have a switch too shut down the bass in a hurry if need be. I kill the bass when listening too news radio because it gets a bit much. Also nice too be able too shut down the bass when Johnny Law gets in behind you. Some cities will ticket you for big bass.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ok thanks guys, I think Ive got it set perfect now. From the outside you cant tell a big difference, inside is sounds a hell of alot better though so Im happy.