Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painless aux fuse block location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bnc04, Feb 7, 2005.

1. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Hi,
    I'm going to clean up the rats nest or wires and splices under the dash and move towards some interior upgrades in the future. I purchased the Painless aux fuse block with 4 ignition and 3 constant hot. Have any of you done this and if so, where did you place the fuse block? It looks like with some modification, I may be able to stick it in the fold out ash tray so it will be easy to get to the fuses etc.
    Just like to see some of the creative solutions you guys have come up with.. Pics would be greatly appreciated !.
    Thanks
    Brett

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How do you draw power for this fuse panel?

Probably too late, but for $6 you can buy an auxillary fuse panel, and just run wires to it from the stock fuse panel that has the empty terminals along the top.

Don't see the advantage of the painless piece.?

3. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Draws off a hot and Batt into a relay to power the panel. Agreed, there are other ways to do it but I wanted something clean that has the prewireing and relay in place. also the outbound wires are labled as to constant hot ign hot and are different colors. With the mess I have under there now, I thought this would be the cleanest looking as well as the most user friendly way for me personally. Those that are not electrically challanged like I am, I'm sure can function just fine with something else.

Oh and I got it off ebay for 22.00 all wire's fuses relays and instructions.

Brett

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats a lot less clean than running an auxillary panel sounds like.

Not trying to second guess your decision, but adding a relay doesn't sound any cleaner/simpler than taking feeds right off the fuse panel, which are already protected by a circuit breaker. Still need SOME sort of fuse panel of course.

You pulling the excess wires out of the truck instead of just trying to go around them, right?

It's amazing what people have added/spliced into the wiring systems over the years, especially when there really is no reason to splice anything in with those fuse panels.

5. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

oh ya, I'm going to pull all the extra stuff outta there. There is a switch in the console that goes to nothing:) . I'll rewire the Tach, tranny temp sender, Remote CD changer, Aftermarket stereo that was hacked and spliced in there, Cig lighter/accessory outlet that is shorted out, and brake controller. Then I will also be adding some interior lights via an overhead console, interior light for the floor console, an amp with a remote power switch, additional accessory outlets, a cb and see if I an come up with a microphone/speaker setup for the cell phone.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I put relays and fuse panels (2 painless) into a circuit box that I mounted behind the driver's seat, to the bed wall. Then mounted switches to the front of my console. It controls lights all around and power for the inverter and DC outlets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice install. Did you make the switch plate?

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yes I did. Aluminum angle.