Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painless Wiring harness

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dwoods, Feb 23, 2005.

1. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just wanted to ask anyone who has installed one how hard was it to do? My original one in my 87 V-20 has so many splices I can't count them all. The advertisement says almost anyone can install it. I have rewired parts of it in the past (Tail lights and fuel pump).

The weather bug is chirpin better see whats coming !!!!

2. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

I am surprised no one has responded. My son's 84 Blazer's wiring is all dried up and cracked. We nursed it along, but it just gave out. Too long in the desert I guess. We will purchase the Painless #10205 harness along with a couple of extras just as soon as he earns the money. The #10205 is $450.00 before sales tax. We'll probably start in July after his first summer paycheck.

We have never rewired a vehicle. The young man is learning how to do things for himself. So many of his friend's fathers are giving them shiney, new vehicles. What a lost teaching opportunity.

I like Painless because (1) they have a harness specifically for his vehicle, (2) their wiring is labeled well, and (3) they have tech support over the phone. We will follow their instructions (already printed off of their website) and proceed methodically. All will go well.

If we get stuck, we can shoot pictures with his digital camera and email them in to discuss over my cell phone while he is under the dash. How far technology has come since I was a kid?

(Can you tell I am a mathematician / accountant by training)?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run a Painless harness for my fuel injection system. It is a good quality and easy to use product. I recommend them. There customer service line is very helpful also, and there installation manual is pretty detailed and easy to use.

All the wires have the terminals they need already attached and they are all marked as to what they are.

Harley

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have installed there harnesses into two of my trucks. First one was a 77 chevy and the second was 84 k5. The part number i used was #10101. It is the gm keyed universal kit. Everything was very straight forward. The biggest thing is to take your time and route the wires so they are out of your way. Make good connections. Solder when ever possible and make sure everthing is tied back in place.

The only bad thing that i have found is the charging circuit. Painless runs everything through one 50 amp maxi fuse. This is ok till you add a winch or powermaster alternator. I was blowing fuse left and right. I added a extra line from the back of the alt. to the + side of the battery and this fixed the problem with no bad effects to the painless harness.

All and all i am very happy with the product and customer service. They are both top notch.