Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painless wiring kit

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmanofcali, May 3, 2002.

1. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

has anyone here bought and installed a painless kit for our trucks?

did everyhing match up and was the install easy?
    how long did it take?
    where was the cheapest place you found it?

later, tdd

2. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

I think smp installed one of these... you might want to PM him. J.C. Whitney sells them for $340. Let me know if you can find it cheaper. I know they're not perfect, for example you have to enlarge the firewall opening for the fuse box. I haven't purchased it yet, but I should be able to give you a first hand in a couple of months. I've read one or two good reviews on installs in 67-72 trucks.

3. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

If you buy it. Make sure you soder the wires instead of crimping them like they want you too. My Blazer had the painless kit and it was crimped and I had problems.

4. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

I have one I haven't finished installing. I have one tip: when you cut the firewall for the bigger fuse block, do yourself a favor and throw their template away. The thing says "actual size" but it was blown up when printing the manual -- they sent me a couple T-shirts for alerting 'em to it. Wish I'd have found the problem *before* cutting though... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You do have to reuse a bunch of the factory connectors. All the rear-end wires are just bare ends, as are most of the under-hood ones.

5. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I just finished installing the kit on my Jimmy; it went smoothly. the only thing I can't figure out is how you would get the marker lights to flash on a 71 or 72 truck. mine's a 70 and i was told in a previous post that the marker lights don't flash (i couldn't remember). Anyway, the kit is easy to use, and I have no previous wiring experience.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yep, as you know I did. No problems with their TPI kit, or are you asking about the whole truck rewire. Either way, just check all the connections when you get the harness.

7. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

well all i ordered the painless kit for the whole truck, but i think im going to order the wiring kit for the tpi swap from jims performance. i will let you all know what i think of the kit when i get it in.
    after the new wiring in the whole truck and the vortec/tpi swap i should be a happy camper (besides my lame ass guages).

thanks for all the replies!!

later, todd

p.s. anyone with a full set of auto-meter phantom guages sitting around collecting dust send me a pm.....ill give them a good home.....lol

8. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

What ?? Lame ass guages? I think they looked ok lol.
    <font color=red>1 FN HI K5<font color=red> <font color=black> PS hey look at my cool orange name....<font color=black>