Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PAINLESS WIRING

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74beater, Oct 27, 2003.

1. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED ONE. I KNOW IT'S GOING TO BE A PAIN IN THE ARSE. BUT THE ONE IN MY 74 IS BARELY HOLDING TOGETHER(AMEN FOR DUCT TAPE AND ZIP TIES)
    ANY ADVISE WOULD BE HELPFUL

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I installed one in my '79, it was a PITA, but not because of the product. The PO of my rig had cut all the wires out to put the painless wiring in, all goood, NOT, the asshat cut up most of the wires that were supposed to stay. I got the rig with a box of all the connectors that plugged into everything. The main thing is to make sure you have a good wiring diagram before you start, most of the wires are colored coded back to the same GM colors, but the ones under the dash will get you if you are not careful. I like the painless kit, just make sure you follow the directions and plug a battery charge in and check all the connections before you plug the battery back in, I have heard of people just plugging the battery back in when they thought they were done and frying and entire section of harnes because of a wrong connection.

Things you will need,
    good set of wire strippers
    connectors
    shrink tube, I used it to cover all the connectors under the truck
    elctrical tape and some rolls of wire in variuos gages
    a good wiring diagram
    and last but not least, PATIENCE! dont get in a hurry, it would be a shame to fry a $300 harness because you got in a hurry.

If you need any more advice, feel free to contact me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

3. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

WHERE WOULD I GET A GOOD WIRING DIAGRAM
    THANKS FOR EVERYTHING

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I believe that Haynes manuals have the wiring diagrams in them, I will have to look when I get to work, the other option is go to your local library. They will usually have the big Chilton's wiring books, just find what you need, toss it on the copy machine and your ready to go. I got all of mine form the library in the next town over, but that was before I knew that Haynes Manuals had the wiring in them. Also a few members here have full wiring diagrams, but use that as a last option, they can be hard to send and get a decent enough quality out of to use.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif