Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint color for grill

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigRed89, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I would like to refurbish a grill for my '85 Blazer and want to know what type of paint some of you may have used for the silver colored portion of the grill. Brand of paint and paint color would be appreciated. I would like to match the stock color as much as possible.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To create more contrast, I painted the dark silver/gray portion of the grille on my '90 Sub with Krylon Ultra Flat Black. It stands out nicely against the chrome trim. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The "correct" color Is call argent. You can buy it in spray cans from GM for 10.00 a can. I think thats a little much, but i have heard the color is patened. I have used a paint from Plasti-kote. It's called "steel wheels", no 618-steel. It's almost the same color as the GM argent. As close as I have ever found. It is also a low gloss as the original is.

4. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i had bought Rust Oleum, it was the silver in their METALLICS line of spray cans, its about as exact of a match as you can get in a rattle can.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

high gloss black

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

advice on painting plastics...
    KRYLON FUSHIONS PLASTIC PAINT
    this stuff rocks big time. the only think you have to do is wash it real well with non amonia based cleaner. it stays on big time. i dont think they have it in a silver though. so my advice is this. use the fushion in white or grey then paint over that with krylon silver. its a nice matte color in my eyes.
    Grant

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

thats what i used
    fusion high gloss black

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just as a heads up, there is a company called "certi-fit"(sp?) that sells the 85-88 grilles for just over $20. Not an exact fit, but close enough. 10-15 minutes with a razorblade and all trim will bolt up.

Just figured I'd throw that out there, since most GM grilles that are left from that vintage are already cracked or at the very least, very brittle.

9. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I will be shopping for paint today and starting on this project tomorrow hopefully.

10. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Just re-did my grill, J-B welded the broken parts and painted the whole thing rustoleum Hammered Silver...similar to stock color, but I like the hammered look better...