Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint color ideas

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Brians89K5, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I have been going over in my head about re-painting my truck. I would really like to make it blue but wondering how worth the trouble it would be. Anyone change the color of their truck and are happy with the outcome? How far down did you strip the truck? My truck is white right now.

~Brian

2. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Brian buddy,
    This past summer I decided to repaint my blazer. I used chemical stripper and a DA sander to get the job done. Two days later and about 100 sheets of sand paper, I stripped four layers of paint off. Once I had the thing down to bare metal, I sent it off to a local body/paint expert to have it painted. Well let’s just say, the truck is slated to be done finished this month. In the end I decided to go with the color "Honda blue", a sort of pearl blue. All said and done, it’s costing about $5,000 dollars to get a show room looking truck. Good luck and post some pixs of your ride!

-scott

3. Brians89K5

heres a pic of her now. I don't know If I want to drop 5k in paint for this truck. Thats so damned much.... lol Im thinking I may try my hand in auto body..... See what I can mess up. its either that or earl sheib for a coat of white again.

Truck flex.JPG

4. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Another thing you many want to try is like miracle auto body. My girlfriend just got her car painted through them and surprisingly is looks really good. She paid $700.00 for a complete paint job. Original they quoted me $3,500.00 for body/paint work for my blazer. That was base coat and one layer of clear coat. For $5,000.00 I am getting base coat and four layers of clear coat. Or their is always DIY paint job and renting a paint sprayer and doing the body work yourself.

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That sucks!

I just paid $2500 for my paint and I got a 2 stage paint job plus a good amount of sanding/gringing/smoothing/gapping was done to it too. Came out real nice too.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your white is base/clear?

7. Chevy305

Yup, of coarse there's primer under it... :crazy:

The paint is on there is thicker than factory paint with all the coats. Not sure how many coats. I think there was about 4-5 clear coats. But of coarse buffing takes some off the suface.

8. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Brian,

I just got my '87 back out of the shop last week. It was originally the Chevy dark blue with a silver side and red striping tape. I wanted to change the silver side to the later '06/'07 Chevy Silverado Classic Blue Granite Metallic and ended up changing the blue slightly to a little darker blue metallic. The color code for the side is 46U/WA9228L (called Stealth Gray in '07) and the dark blue is GM58/WA919L called Dark Steel Blue. I don't know what year or vehicle the dark blue is from and if anyone can tell me it'd be greatly appreciated. I just picked it from some GM color samples. The side kind of looks teal or almost a little green in the photos. I'll see if I can go take a photo in better light so the true colors will show. Oh yeah, he changed the tape stripe color to a metallic silver with a dark blue stripe in the center. Here's a before and after:

I had a couple of spots where it was getting signs of rust and a small dent in the tailgate. It cost me $2,500 plus another $500 for new side molding and window seals.

Mvc-002f.jpg

CollinsLeaving4Orl.JPG

Blazer_01s.jpg

Blazer_05s.jpg

9. Chevy305

Looks much better ;)

10. Brians89K5

deffinately looks nice. I have been kicking it around a lot and I think I am just going to repaint it white. I just don't want to break down the truck that far to change its color...

~Brian

11. GruntHunter

Thr initial estimate was $1,500 to fix a small rust hole the size of a BB under the door handle on the drives door, two small rust spots (surface mostly) under the door seal in the door jam and a small dent in the tailgate where a 4x4 got loose off my trailer and bumped into it. That would have gotten one door completely and one tailgate completely painted and stripped so he offered to paint the rest of it for another $1,000 and I went for it. Oh yeah, I had him remove the old exterior spare tire mount brackets while he was at it. I would have rather gone with a dark green metallic but with the blue interior I didn't have any alternative but to stick with the blue theme.

My neighbor has an all silver '87 K5 that I'm trying to talk him into painting green ;-) His paint is starting to fade and he needs to fix the same rust spot I had in my tailgate right in the center on the bottom edge. He has a grey interior so he's pretty open as far as color choices go.

They guy who did mine pulled everything but the bumpers and top, including the grill, off before he painted it (the right way to do things).

12. GruntHunter

Man ! I never thought it'd be this difficult taking a decent photo of a paint job, I think I have the color corrected right now but can't get rid of all the reflections. Going to need to get a polorizing filter.

OK, now I need some suggestions as what to do with the headlight bezels; chrome, paint silver or color match to one of the body colors. I definately want to fix the tape job.

Dsc_1736s.jpg

Dsc_1728s.jpg

Dsc_1731s.jpg

Dsc_1735s.jpg

13. Chevy305

How come the driver side has a solid stripe and the passenger side has 2 smaller ones?

Do the grill and head light bezels all body color. like this:

s Camera 001.jpg

I plan to black out the grill trim (not shown in this picture) and the Chevy bow tie to tie the truck together with the black bumpers, wheels, and visor. :D

s Camera 001.jpg

14. GruntHunter

Good catch CHEVY305

Yeah, I picked it up after work Friday a week ago and let it sit all weekend and then on the way to work on Monday the thin blue tape on the front drivers side blew off ha ha ha. I'm dropping it back off with the body guy tomorrow. He wanted to rework some cracks in the top corners of the tailgate so he'll put some new tape on it. I'd like to have him pull the silver tape off the front fenders and do them over but I don't know if pulling the tape off will pull some paint off also.

15. GruntHunter

I like the way you did your truck and that may be a great idea on your grill rework.

16. Chevy305