Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint experts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Can't find anything on this subject in the search. I want to paint my truck with a single-stage enamel industrial paint. It has the regular factory paint right now. Can a person put the enamel over the factory paint? I think a friend of ours scuffed his and painted recently and when he pressure washed it, the new paint came right off. Any tips? I'd hate for that to happen. Thanks. Can't wait to ditch the 2-tone brown!

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

DA sand the whole rig, and then prime it with an enamel based primer, and it should stick fine
    thats what i did to my rig, i would use an enamel that has a hardner or that can be added, because enamel is very soft after it dries and likes to be dull and scratch. hardener will cure that.
    good luck
    ~~~jeff

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you cant just scuff it up and paint it all the old wax and crap needs to come off get some like 180 grit sand paper and sand the whole thing down. not to bare metal but just give the whole thing a good sanding then clean it with thinner to strip any wax thats left then prime it and paint /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

GM had some real paint issues from about 88 to early 90's with paint not staying on the trucks. These trucks would need to be stripped down and prepped properly. Anything that adheres to the paint would still have a chance of peeling off the truck. The primer GM used (if any) didn't bond well to the anti-corrosion coating on the body steel.

Rene

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Wipe it down BEFORE you sand it!! If you don't, the wax and stuff gets inbedded in the old paint and will"fisheye" your new paint job. Cleanliness is the key to painting. Heck, skin oil will fisheye new paint!! After you sand it, use a self etching primer, then a primer surfacer, then primer sealer. I just use the self etching primer as a sealer. Go to a body shop supply store, they can help get what ya need. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Can't wait to get it done. I was hoping to do it "before winter" here it is 28 degrees and we had snow last night. LOL. It won't stick, but it seems too early for that just yet. I've never gone four wheeling in the winter. Planning on it this year.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif