Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint fumes question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 18, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A couple of you guys might recall I had some heating system radiators in my house sandblasted last month. That was the guy that made the final price double what he quoted me.

Well anyway, I had to paint them myself since this guy stuck it to me. I had originally planned to use High Heat Rustoleum, but I noticed on regular cans, it says not to heat more than 200 degrees. Since the radiators only get to about 100 degrees, I went ahead and primed and painted them with regular canned rustoleum. I asked a paint guy ahead of time and he said it would be fine, too.

Now that we're using the heat system, whenever these things get hot, they STINK, and the paint gets real soft, you could scratch it with your finger nail real easy.
    The paint that I'd had sandblasted off was all regular interior paint that years of tenants had used when they moved in and painted rooms, they just used the same paint on the radiators, nothing special.

Is this normal? Will this go away as the paint cures further, or am I SOL and need to yank and strip and repaint these with High Heat paint??

On a side note, these things get wayyyyyyy hotter than they used to, and way hotter than some of the units I didn't have sandblasted. No cold living room this year /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif .

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how long did you wait to let the paint cure before you heated it up?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I guess about a day or two. It was outside and covered, so it may have been a little chilly while it was curing.

It's funny, the system now seems super efficient with all these radiators hooked up and clean..

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Paint fumes question...

[/ QUOTE ]

*ahem*

I think you should paint fumes green

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I like green...

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

On a hot water heating system the water will be way hoter than 100. usually in the 170-190 temp range.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Paint fumes question...

[/ QUOTE ]

*ahem*

I think you should paint fumes green

[/ QUOTE ]With all the Alcohol in him the paint would not stick /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It's a steam system, what I'm reading now, the radiators themselves get up around 160-180. I finally got off my arse and looked it up, and the general consensus of info is that they stay under 200 degrees.

I'm hoping this is just some kind of burn-in that will go away as the paint gets older. Checking them again tonight, the smell is getting less apparent as we use the heat more, and the paint doesn't seem to be coming off as easily as the first night they were run in.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I put a page together to show off stuff I do to other guys that own similar houses that I know... Since I know this is a burning issue on everyone's mind, I figured I'd post up my pics. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The Ratchiators.