Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PAINT GUNS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 8, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well its time spray paint isent cutting it anymore. I want to buy a spray gun any information yall could give me would be very help full. Do I want gravity fed or siphen fed? Im gonna use it for misc. jobs(all automotive) and might spray the body with it to so I want a good one but dont want to spend to much more then $100
    BTW I was looking at the chambell hausfeild(sp) dh790000av

2. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I don't know any prices, but my dad has been a body man for 30 yrs, and one of friends is in the business. Both swear by the High Volume Low Pressure gravity fed guns. The only thing they use siphon for is primer when blocking out low spots.

Kirk

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Devilbiss, Binks and you can probably throw Sharpe in as being known as the better gun manufacturers.. i've been a Devilbiss devotee my whole life. the JGA model is probably the best all-around gun ever made. but i also own several Binks guns, #7's are nice, thats what my pressure pot is set up with. most guns of that nature will run $200 to $400.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

for your only gun, your probably better off with a siphon. more universal. but gravity feeds are very nice, i pretty much only spray thru a gravity feed and pressurepot any more.

the cambell hausefield should serve you well enough. just avoid $30 ebay crap. one of my mechanics bought a cheapy that had plastic parts that dissolved in thinner... nice /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thorough cleaning is essential for long life in any gun. don't skimp on the laquer thinner..

have fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I just researched this and the overwhelming opinion was that if you cant do a good job with a DeVilbiss Finishmaster II, then you cant spray period.

Check this http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DEV-FLG635316.html

It comes with two tips and that is cool. Too bad it has plastic parts - that kinda sucks. The Finishline III is now out and is all metal for about the same price. Also the Sharpe Cobalt is supposed to be real nice for a pro/cheapie.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I've always used AirVerter. I love em but kinda pricy.

Jon

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My favorite is my classic Devillbis JGA, and I have a knock-off JGA that I use for primer...

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well I was gonna pay around $100 for the cambell hausfeild, but thats Devilbiss FinishLine II™ HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun is only about $30 more Do yall think I would be better off with the devilbiss?

9. florida4x4

oh yes. even with the plastic parts the difference in quality is unreal. It even comes with ziplock type plastic bags for the paint cup so you can spray upside down with no chance of a leak.

I sprayed my truck with a Porter Cable and although it worked pretty well before the BIG job, it really started having problems. Cup leaked, spray pattern was unstable. it seemed like no amount of adjustment cured any of the problems. I always cleaned the gun very well so I dont know what happened. For $30 more I could have had a real gun and I now do anyway. The porter cable is now primer only.

67-72chevytrucks.com has a decent paint and body forum and ther are others out there. Thats how I found out about the Finishline.

10. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I got me a Tippmann Pro-lite:

[​IMG]

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Is the Devilbiss FinishLine III bacically the same gun as teh finishline II except with all metal parts? Is there any advantave to plastic parts? and where can I find a FinishLine III for a real good price?

12. florida4x4

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea I just did the same thing thanks though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. mirage

mirage Registered Member

DeVilbiss all the way. Definately go with a HVLP, which are easier to find as gravity fed. You should be able to find a nice entry level model on ebay for around $120 that will handle all your needs. I've also used a Harbour Freight HVLP that runs for around $60 with no complaints. Here's a pic of me painting my blazer :-)

http://www.jaredsgarage.com/gallery/album14/MVC_005F_001