Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint gurus ... advice needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 27, 2002.

I'm looking at getting a spray gun and I would like to know what the difference is between a siphon gun and a gravity feed gun. Which one do the pros use, or is it just personal preference?
    Also, since I'll be painting the cab, how do you go about spraying on a horizontal surface and get an even coating?

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Some prefer a gravity feed gun, but I like the siphon style since I feel they have better balance. I've also found that they work better at funny angles than the gravity guns. As for painting on horizontal surfaces, it's basically the same as on a vertical surface, just make sure there's enough paint in the gun so the pickup doesn't come out of the paint and make the gun sputter. </font color>

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I used a gravity feed gun when I painted my truck. Worked great. The hardest part was reaching the middle of the hood when shooting the clear coat /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Okay ... it's a tie - one to one! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Anyone else? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Not a guru. I painted my truck with a HVLP gravity gun, and a Standard Siphon gun. The HVLP gun wins BY FAR!!!

I like the ability to see how much material is left. I also used a 1/2 a gallon of mixed material (DAU) for my bed on my '71 truck. While I used 1/2 gallon of mixed (DAU) material on my ENTIRE '73 Blazer (inside and out) with my HVLP gun. Now if I could find/afford a siphon HVLP gun. That might be the way to go.

Good luck.

5. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

It's basically just what you would prefer. I have always liked gravity feed becouse there is no cup underneath to accidentaly bump into paint. I haven't seen many painters use siphon feed exept for primers.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think SHARPE makes the best gun for the $$...I have a Colbalt gravity feed, I think it was about $135!! Check it out here: http://www.sharpe1.com/cobalt.htm Gravity feed guns use less material and you can use every drop of paint......a siphon feed is OLD school, I got a couple collecting dust right now..... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif All guns have an air-cap that can be adjusted for side to side or up &amp; down spraying!!

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I use a sharpe (siphon) and get good results. I think one of the key players with it is it does not have a little piece of hose for a pot breather, it has a network of plumbing inside of the pot so you can just about hold it upside down with no drips from the breather tube.

John

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I did body work and paint for quite a few years. IMHO go with a gravity feed. Clean up is easier and a good one will last for a long time.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I prefer the gravity fed as well. Shooting the paint is a snap, the clearcoat on the other hand is where most errors happen.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like the gravity feed is preferred. Perhaps I prefer the siphon style only because that's what I learned with and have spent a lot more time using. </font color>

11. JK5, where did you find the Cobalt at for $135? The auto paint shop I went to wants $175 for it.

12. JK5

I got mine at a Sherwin Williams Automotive paint Store!!! I paid $175 for my Iwata LPH-94, a great clear coat gun.....did you look on-line?

13. JK5

14. Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif