Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint help '89 K5

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by BLZN4FN, Sep 17, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Dec 19, 2000
    Ok I bought a 89 k5. The paint is in very poor shape. I'm making this my mall crawler so no rattle can jobs here. I have one in the garage with rattle can job now:wink1:

It's two tone silver/white the clear coat has worn off the silver part the white looks ok for now I'm doing a full paint job. Can I wet sand the body then prime? or is there something i should do before this.

Also what kinda of primer should I use? its been 18 years sence I have done any of this just trying to remember how to do all this.

Any tips you all care to share would be helpfull.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 13, 2003

hmmm, where to start...

First, wash the truck thoroughly with good, soapy water.. Dish detergent, Laundry deterdent, etc make fine substitutes!

Usually, you'll hit all the areas that need bodywork/scratches, dings, worn paint, etc with a dry sander.. DA, jitterbug, grinder for dents, etc... spot prime what needs it.. then wetsand out the whole truck with some 320...

You can either throw a couple coats of sealer on, or use a filling primer.. filling will require scuffing...

definitely plan on base/clear for the silver... and honestly, I'd just do the white base too... it's easier, spray the white, mask off, shoot silver, pull mask, clear...

And definitely use an epoxy primer and or sealer.....