Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spincast375, Sep 4, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

so i painted my truck rustoleum gloss black, it actually turned out really well...

now two or so weeks afterwards, little blue perhaps 1/4 inch or so spots are showing up just above the horizontal line that goes down the body, at the center of some is a dot of rust...wtf

all i can guess is that there was moisture underneath when i painted it, but heres the problems with that theory - 1) i thought u could put rustoleum over just about any surface and not have to worry about whether it was dirty or anything like that. 2) its mostly appearing on the doors, a little on the front quarter panels and a little on the panels behind the door, 3) would it not make sense that if it was rust that it would be everywhere; there are no marks on the hood or tailgate or towards the bottom of the doors where i actually sprayed over small amounts of rust:rolleyes: .

i hadnt noticed any flaws(rust) previous to painting where the marks are showing up. i really have no way to explain it.

they almost look like drops of water that might have dried on there... except they wont come off

idn how but i might try and get some pics of it on here if that might help

thanks for any help

jacob

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sounds almost like somethin blew onto the truck, and removed the paint at the center of contact, and just damaged the paint radiating out from the point of contact. Were you sprayin brake cleaner, or any other type of solvent near the truck? Thats all I can think of.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

most ppl on here tend to stay away from single stage rattle can gloss colors becausestuff like that isint uncommon. i did my tailgate and the same thing happend

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Those are fisheyes my friend and you failed to remove all the oil from the surface before you painted it....oops

5. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

so would sanding it down to bare metal then painting it back over do the trick? whats a good way to adequately(sp) clean the surface before painting. my dad always says acetone. what do you guys think

fisheyes huh, it does kinda look like car oil in water...

thanks

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

denatured alcohol is by far the best degreaser... acetone, lacquer thinner, etc are generally not good degreasers for automotive. they are solvents and can cause probs, including cutting into and softening what your washing.. you can use "job specifac" degreasers such as prep sol, final wash, etc but honestly all they do is dry slower and are more work to use and more expensive..

damp towel/ dry towel with paper towels.. soak one wad, wet panel, wipe with dry wad... make sure the panel is wet when your drying it..

just for a point of reference... in body shops, proper procedure is to actually degrease a panel before you ever touch it with a sander or grinder.. the theory being that if you don't you can cause probs by actually sanding/grinding the oils/wax, etc INTO the paint, potentially making it difficult to degrease properly later... most don't do this, but it is the "correct" way to do it..

we'll occasionally use lacquer thinner to degrease gelcoat but thats about it.. honestly, acetone sucks... we rarely use it anymore for anything.. pretty much we only use it to remove stains from vinyl seats.

lacquer thinner is a much better product for anything you'd use acetone on usually.. it cuts better, doesn't stink nearly as bad and is much more skin friendly.. ages ago we would use acetone to cut gelcoat, but its not very good at that either.. we use styrene and MEK for that these days...