Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint Job Cost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Sep 27, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 88 K5,few spots of surface rust 2 holes above my door handles, went down to a local paint shop to get a estimate on a new paint job fix the rust etc. They told me by the time they were done it would be 7500, muhahha must be crazy. Anyone know how much something like this should cost.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I dont know about a k5 cuz i havent had mine painted but my dad had his 69 impala painted recently(big car) and it only cost him 2500. he had a few rust spots on the corners of the fenders that were fixed and complete paint job. you might want to get another estimate.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 is going to be done in 2 or 3 days. There was quite a bit of bodywork done, and the final cost is going to be around $4000 CDN(around $2500 US). Don't feel bad though- I got a couple of estimates similar to your high-ball, too. I came to the conclusion that most body shops prefer big money insurance jobs; meaning that your "resto" job would have meant that REAL body work is required. And that's just too hard for them..............

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Geez, thats pretty expensive! I got mine done at Maaco for $830, I got a new hood, 2 tone, painted the inside of the tailgate, custom pinstriping, and 2 yr warranty. It looks awesome! I really recommend the Maaco around here, they did a really good job, I don't know what the Maaco (if there is one) near you is like. Check my rig out at http://members.aol.com/dadben123/blazer.htm
    Good luck!

Dawson
    88 K5

5. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Cool, man!! That paint job looks sweet. When I get mine back at the end of this week both sides from the doors back will have fresh paint and the tailgate as well. My tailgate had been hit so I took the aluminum strip off and am having the five holes welded up and painted. It will give the blazer a clean smooth look in the back. Mine is all black which shows every little nick and dent. What did the guys do on your top? Was it smoothed down before it was painted or did they use a different paint for that texture on the top? My bodyman told me he has to use a different paint for the top than the rest of the truck.

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

6. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Earl Scheib filled a few small holes on the body and then painted the whole thing dark metallic blue. Total cost was $400 which included the extra $75 for the "premium" color. Paint has been on the truck about 10 months and is looking good. It's probably not the same kinda paint job you're going to get for $2500 but I figure that if you've got a 4x4 the paint is going to get scratched and I'd rather be scratching paint that cost me $400 than paint that cost six times that much. Plus I get a three year warranty and it only took 2 days for them to paint it. ^IMHO^ go for the cheap paint job and spend what you would've spent on paint on some engine and suspension goodies.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

7. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses, I guess I will try the Maaco route and see how it turns out, never had that good of experiences with Maaco here in Cincinnati, but 1000 is alot cheaper than that 7500 crap.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you got holes above the door handle then the door is probably swiss cheeze...replace it. I can pick up near perfect used doors for $65 all day long where I'm at. installing that door is something you can do and it would be far cheaper than the labor to fix the rust holes. I think a brand new door is like $150. Hell if you got a lot of rust you can come down south and pick up a rust free wreck for $1k and salvage the tub. Regardless that shop is high if you were only looking at say rusted out rockers and door problems and quite honestly gave you the high estimate to do one of to things !. Run you off without saying "I havn't got time" or two just to see if you would bite. A K5 dosen't need a $7500 dollar paint job... Porsche's and Benzes get paint jobs for that price.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Check around I got mine painted for $1500.00. That included the new wind shield. I still need to paint my shell, a painter I know is going to do it for $350. But first He need to finish my metal for my H-D.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i just got my truck back from the paint shop, $1000.00. they fixed some rust holes, did some bodywork, and replaced some rubber. it isnt the greatest looking paint job but it looks nice and shines. dont put too much money in to it, or you will get pi**ed if you scratch it or something.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

11. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

I just painted mine myself.The total cost for the paint,2 tone ,primer,and reducer was around $250.00.I've painted alot of cars over the years and it turned out geat.Car paint is very costly and the proper tools are also,that when it helps to work in the automotive bussines as these can be had cheeper or borrowed.The sprayer that I use was bought from the Matco tool man for about $60.00 and works great.The new paints with hardner spray very easy,but mistakes are costy.I sprayed my truck in my yard on a calm,bug free day.First wetting the grass down to keep out the dust.It can be done..

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Hey scrapper - so basicly you're saying that I could use my Wagner Power Painter to paint my truck? I know it's a pain in the a$$ to tape something the size of a K5, but this can be done by a "novice"? Hmmmmm - now the screws are turning....

behemoth K5