Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint job prices

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Wondering what a descent paint job goes for these days. I plan on doing most if not all the body work. Just wondering how much it would cost to get the whole exterior ppainted plus the top? How would i go from a black top to a white top being the top is fiberglass? Thanks in advance.

2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

not sure if yours is two tone but i got a quote for mine and he said around 2-3 grand since mine is two tone..but he said it would prob be better to goto maaco and do all prep work yourself and get lilke the 700$ paint job

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine took his land barge(85' chevy crewcab dually) into 1day paint&body, cost him 1400 OTD, they did all the prep work, plus fixed a few dents and a tweaked door.they used single stage paint, not the cheapest either. looked really good. i thought it would cost twice that much for so much sheetmetal.

not sure about the top, if you go in to get a qoute somewhere they could tell you. i remember seeing someone on here using marine-grade paint for boats on his top. stuff made to adhere to fiberglass. i think you can use regular paint too, as long as you use the correct primer.

4. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I had mine zolotoned about a year ago. There was body work that had to be done, all metal-no bondo. The guy did some different type of prep work on the top. I think he called it acid-etching. Anyway, it removed the bad fiberglass, then he used a different primer. Once all that was done, he shot the whole thing with the zolotone. I stripped all of the trim, bumpers, etc. but he did all the body/paint work. I cost me about $1800 ~ $2000, but it was worth it.

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

$75. about 30 cans of paint over all (yellow doesn't cover well, especially CHEAP yellow), couple rolls of masking tape and masking paper, jug of solvent, and a handle that clips on the spray can to make it more like holding a gun. Looked great for at least a week.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Thats why you do it in OD green! cost ya half as much:wink1: