Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint on drive shafts

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyblazer, Aug 3, 2001.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Just finishing up installing the driveline in my 72 K5. My neighbor claims that painting the driveshafts will throw off the balance. Any thoughts?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmm....... I would have to say an even coat of paint will not do a damn thing to the balancing. The balance weights are way heavier than a coat of paint. I don't know for sure this is just my thoughts..........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Thats what I thought, thanks Burt. Hey did you ever build that 383. I'm going to start on mine today. I've got $2000 in parts sitting in my living room and my wife comes back tomorrow..doh.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahaha, no but I am still going to doit! I have a 350 block and I am working on getting some heads next. The good thing is my current 350 is still running fine so I can take my time with the 383 build up.
    talk to ya later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I painted my with engine paint gm blue

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Your neighbor's nuts. If the paint is fairly even, you will be hard-pressed to throw the balance off by an amount that is many orders of magnitude smaller than what the driveshaft machines are capable of measuring. Think of it this way: A driveshaft is about 2.5" in diameter and a clutch cover is about 13" in diameter. If the coat of paint is just slightly uneven on either of them, the clutch cover will show it more. A lot of clutch covers have paint on them. FWIW, I have balanced clutch assemblies and repainted them with no ill effects (on engines that routinely saw over 9K RPM).